So you’ve got a couple of security cameras for your home. Maybe they are Nest cameras, maybe they are Arlo, or another brand. The good thing is, the majority of them work with the Google Assistant and can be streamed on a Google Assistant Smart Display like the Nest Hub or Nest Hub Max.
But how exactly can you stream that video footage to your Google Assistant-enabled smart display? It’s quite easy actually. Here’s how you can do it. You can also do this on your Chromecast, Google TV or Android TVs.
How to stream your security cameras to a Google Assistant Smart Display
You’ll want to have these cameras already set up on your home WiFi network and actually working.
First up, you’re going to need to pair your camera with Google Assistant. This is really only a necessary step if you are not using Nest cameras. Basically, to do this, do the following:
- Go into the Google Home app on your smartphone.
- Tap on the + in the upper-left-hand corner.
- Next, tap on “Set Up Device”. This will be the first option.
- On this next page, make sure to tap on “Works with Google”. This is because the device is already set up, so you’re not actually setting it up, just syncing with Google Assistant.
- Next, find the brand of your camera, and tap on it.
- From there, you’ll be asked to log in to your account with that brand. Then if you allow the Google Assistant access to your devices.
- And you’re all set.
Now, it’s as simple as giving the Google Assistant a command like the following:
- “Hey Google, show [camera name].”
- “OK Google, what’s on [camera name]?”
- “Hey Google, can you play [camera name] on [display name]?”
- “OK Google, stop.”
However, there is also another way, since this is a smart display.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- This will bring you to the “Home Control” screen. Now tap on Cameras.
- This screen will show you the cameras that are on your account. Just tap on any of them (if you have multiple), and it’ll start showing you the live feed from that camera.
- This is a good way to do it if you don’t want to use your voice. Or just want to do it faster.
What camera brands are compatible?
Most camera brands are compatible with Google Assistant, but not all of them. So which ones can work with the Smart Displays? Here’s the full list:
- Atomi Smart
- Homee Smart Home
- Mydlink Smart
- Ioe Smart
- iView iHome
- KAFO Smart
- Logi Circle
- MCL DOMO
- Momentum Smart Home
- Panasonic HomeHawk
- Q-See Plus
- Smart K
- Swann Smart Security Camera
- TP-Link Kasa
- Tuya Smart, Smart Life
You’ll notice that Blink and Ring which are owned by Amazon are not on that list. That is because those only work with Alexa and Echo devices. Similar to how Nest devices only work with Google Assistant and not Alexa or Echo – as Google owns Nest.
But that’s how you can set up your Google Assistant Smart Display to work with your cameras and show the live feed.