Amazon Prime is a subscription service that virtually everyone should have. But, if for some reason you don’t have Prime, we’re here to help you sign up.
Signing up for Amazon Prime is pretty simple, and will need your credit or debit card handy. Amazon Prime does come with a free trial, and is even discounted for students. Below, we’ll explain more about the free trial, what’s included in Prime and finally, how to sign up.
What’s included in Amazon Prime?
Many think that Amazon Prime is just free shipping. Which is how it started initially, almost 17 years ago. But since then, Amazon has added more and more benefits while also raising the price. So here’s everything that is included in your Amazon Prime subscription:
- Shipping: Same-Day, One-Day and Two-Day delivery on millions of options
- Groceries: Skip the lines with 2-hour delivery on a wide selection of fresh ingredients
- Amazon Day: Shop throughout the week and receive your orders on a single day
- Prime Video: New Releases. Award-winning Amazon Originals. Watch what you love on your favorite devices.
- Prime Music: Stream millions of songs and thousands of stations. Plus download music and listen offline.
- Prime Gaming: Free games, exclusive in-game content and a free Twitch channel subscription every month
- Prime Reading: Enjoy hundreds of new books, magazines and more each month
- Exclusive Deals: Prime members save on thousands of items, with some deals opening for Prime members ahead of everyone else.
- Amazon Photos: Enjoy unlimited, full-resolution photo storage.
- Rx Savings: Save on prescriptions at 60,000 pharmacies, including Walgreens, CVS and Amazon Pharmacy.
- Prime Try Before You Buy: Try on fashion items before you buy, and only pay for what you keep.
And that’s really just the tip of the iceberg of what is available with your Prime membership, making that $139 yearly cost pretty impressive.
How much is Prime?
Amazon offers Prime in a monthly and a yearly plan. Monthly, it is $14.99, and yearly is $139. It’s much more cost-effective to buy the yearly plan. As paying it monthly would come out to $179.88. Almost 30% more than the yearly fee.
For students, you can get Amazon Prime for just $69 per year. There’s also a monthly plan available for $7.49, but like with regular Prime, it’s not worth it, just pay it all upfront. Amazon does offer some other features for Prime Student, which you can learn more about here.
Those of you with an EBT card and select government assistance recipients can get Prime for even less. It’ll be just $6.99 per month. That’s about $83.88 per year. Unfortunately, because of the way these assistance programs work, you can’t get an annual plan. So it works out to be more than Amazon Prime Student, but it’s still much less than regular Prime.
Is there a Free Trial?
Yes, there is a free trial. For most people, it’s a 30-day free trial. Amazon gives you a full month to take advantage of the service and see if you like it, before paying the $139 per year.
Now, if you are a student, you can get a six-month free trial of Prime, and it is also half price – just $69 per year. You will need to have an accessible .edu email to be able to get this kind of account. And it is only available to you for up to four years – you’ll need to confirm your student status every year.
These are pretty generous free trials for a service like Prime. So it’s a good idea to take advantage of them.
How to sign up for Amazon Prime
First up, head to the Amazon Prime page here.
Next, you’ll want to click on the big orange box that says “Start your 30-day trial”.
Now, you’ll be asked to sign into your Amazon account, or to create one. Of course, if you don’t have one, you will need to create one.
Then you’ll be asked to select a payment method and add your information. You can use a credit card, debit card or a gift card (you can also give the gift of Prime to others).
And now you’re all set. You can start using Prime to get free, fast delivery, get Prime Video and so much more.