YouTube Music may not be everyone’s favorite music streaming service, especially after Google killed off Play Music in favor of it. But also left out a bunch of popular features. YouTube Music is getting pretty good these days. And you can even stream YouTube Music on Sonos, but the method is different from Spotify, unsurprisingly. Nothing can really rival what Spotify has done with Spotify Connect – it’s kind of puzzling how larger tech companies are unable to replicate that actually.
But here’s how you can stream YouTube Music on your Sonos speakers in your home.
How to play YouTube Music on Sonos
To be able to play your favorite songs from YouTube Music on your Sonos speaker, you’re going to need to first add YouTube Music to Sonos. Since YouTube Music doesn’t have as robust of a connect platform as Spotify Connect. Which can find devices that don’t use Google Cast or Chromecast.
Adding YouTube Music to Sonos
Here’s how you can add YouTube Music to Sonos:
- First up, open your Sonos app.
- From there, you’ll want to tap on the gear icon at the bottom right.
- Next, tap on “Services & Voice”.
- On this screen, you will see your voice assistants and music services that are connected. Tap on “Add a Service” at the bottom.
- Find YouTube Music and tap on it. It should be the second option.
- After that, you’ll see a screen explaining what YouTube Music is, tap on “Add to Sonos”.
- Now, you’re going to be given a code to input into your web browser. Make sure to copy that code before going to sign into Google.
- You will now sign in, and then give Sonos access to your YouTube Music account.
- After that, you can go back to the Sonos app, as you are all set.
Playing YouTube Music on Sonos
Since YouTube Music doesn’t have something like Spotify Connect, and Sonos doesn’t have Google Cast available, you’ll need to play the music from the Sonos app. To do this, do the following:
- Open the Sonos app.
- Tap on the Music icon on the bottom left.
- Now tap on “YouTube Music”.
- On this next page, you will see Home, New Releases, Charts, Library and My Supermix. Tap on any of those and find some music to start playing.
- And that’s it.
- Don’t forget that with Sonos’ multi-room audio technology, you can also play this same music on several speakers in your home. All within the Sonos app.
Play YouTube Music on Sonos via Bluetooth
If you have the Sonos Roam or Sonos Move, you can also play music via Bluetooth. Now this will result in slightly less quality audio, since Bluetooth has less bandwidth than WiFi. Just pair your speaker with your smartphone, laptop, or whatever device you are controlling YouTube Music with, and you’re good to go.
Unfortunately, no music streaming service makes playing music on other devices that don’t use Chromecast or AirPlay as well as Spotify does. But it’s not entirely impossible. You’ll just need to make sure that you have the Sonos app downloaded on your phone or your computer and you’ll be good to go.