Spotify may not be the first app users think of when it comes to privacy but that doesn’t mean it’s not important to know when — and how — to block somebody. Not least of all, because you can learn quite a lot about somebody from their music tastes. And, for some password or account recovery services, questions may revolve around those tastes too. But also just because nobody necessarily wants just anybody following them in any app. Whether that’s social media, technically, or not.
So the question is, how, exactly, does one block somebody on Spotify? Well, the answer is easy enough and yes, it is possible. Spotify is, after all, one of the best music apps available. And it has plenty of social options too, to match its popularity. Although maybe not as intuitive for those who aren’t familiar with some of the top social networks out there.
Here’s how you can block somebody outright on Spotify, just in case
Now, falling in line with the fact that this process isn’t exactly intuitive, it doesn’t work the same on desktop and mobile. In fact, the processes and interfaces are just different enough, that you may need to learn how to do both. That is, of course, if you use both the web and app interface regularly. Otherwise, it can be a bit confusing to figure out, given that many walkthroughs only cover one aspect.
Regardless, we’ll cover both methods, as is often the case with most of our how-to guides. So, if you need to block somebody on Spotify, this guide should be helpful nonetheless. Whether you’re on a computer, Android phone or tablet, or some other platform.
How to block somebody on Spotify in the app
- Open up the Spotify app
- Tap or otherwise select the cog-shaped Settings icon. That’s located at the top right-hand side of the app, just below the notification shade UI
- Select “View Profile” to navigate to your profile page. That’s located at the top of the page, just under your username, as shown in our sample images below
- If the person you’d like to block is somebody you’re following, you’ll need to select “Following,” just below your profile image. Otherwise, select the “Following” option to continue
- Find the user you’d like to block and select them
- Select the three vertical dots icon. That’s located at the top right-hand side of the Spotify UI. That will open up an overflow menu for that user, specifically
- In the resulting menu, select the option which reads “Block” to block the user. Repeat these steps as needed, if you have more users you need to block on Spotify
…or online, if you’re using Spotify on the web
- Open up your favorite browser — we’re using Google Chrome but any browser, including a mobile browser in desktop mode, should show the same interface — and navigate to Spotify.com
- If the web player page doesn’t open automatically, as it didn’t for us as we’re bigger fans of the app, tap or click the “Open Web Player” button. Otherwise, you can proceed to the next step
- Next, select your profile image and user name in the top right-hand corner of the Web Player UI, as shown in our sample images below
- In the resulting menu, select the “Profile” option to load up your user profile
- Scroll down the page to see if the user you’d like to block is already visible. Otherwise, you’ll need to select the “See All” button associated with your Followers or Following list, depending on who’d you’d like to block
- Next, scroll through the users who are following you or who you’re following to find the one you’d like to block
- Select their profile image to load their profile and options associated with it
- Once their profile loads up, select the three horizontal dots icon. That’s located next to their status — Following, for example — and just below their user name and profile image
- In the resulting menu, choose the aptly-titled “Block” option, as shown in our images. Confirm your decision, if the app asks for confirmation, by selecting the “Block” button again in the pop-up window
- Finally, select “Block” to confirm your decision. Then follow these same how-to steps for any additional users, if you’d like to block somebody else on Spotify