discovery+ is the latest streaming service to the hit the Internet, and as you’d expect by the name, it brings along with it a ton of Discovery shows and networks. discovery+ essentially includes all of the content from its parent company, Discovery, in a single streaming service, and at a pretty low price.
It’ll offer over 55,000 episodes across 2,500+ shows. And that doesn’t include the long list of exclusives that it’ll be adding in the very near future. The exclusives will include content from personalities like the Irwins, Jonathan and Drew Scott, Chip and Joanna Gaines, Bobby Flay, Ree Drummond, Guy Fieri, Giada De Laurentiis, Lieutenant Joe Kenda and so many more – all in one place.
So we’re here to break it all down for you. To see if discovery+ is a streaming service that is worth subscribing to.
How much does discovery+ cost?
discovery+ will cost you $4.99 per month. Though that is for an ad-supported experience. There is an ad-free version that will cost you $6.99 per month.
This makes discovery+ one of the cheapest streaming services around, but that may not last long. Given the long list of exclusive shows that it plans to add in the future. And we’ve seen plenty of price increases from other streaming services.
Is there a free trial?
discovery+ does offer a free seven day trial for its streaming service. You can opt for either the ad-free or ad-supported version for your trial. Once the seven days are up, you’ll start paying your monthly fee.
Keep in mind that if you decide not to keep discovery+, to cancel it before that seven days is up. Otherwise, you’ll be charged for your first month.
Does Verizon give me discovery+ for free?
Verizon is giving its customers up to 12 months of discovery+ for free. This is going to depend on the Unlimited plan you are on, whether you get six or twelve months free of discovery+. It’s important to remember that after your free six or twelve months are up, it will auto-renew at $6.99 per month. As Verizon is giving you the ad-free version of discovery+.
If you are a FiOS or 5G Home customer, you can also get 12 months free.
For more information on how to get discovery+ free from Verizon, click here.
Can I share my account with my family?
With discovery+, you’ll be able to share your account with up to five people. However, you can only have four concurrent streams.
So you’ll be able to share with your family. And if you get the ad-supported one, and share it with five people, that’s only a buck per person, per month. Which makes this service really impressive.
What exactly are discovery+ channels?
It’s not what you think. You won’t be able to watch TLC live on your discovery+ streaming service.
discovery+ channels are similar to what Pluto TV and Tubi TV offer on their services. Basically, they are non-stop streams of your favorite shows, and they are available 24 hours a day, and seven days a week. So you can tune to your favorite shows’ channel and watch it whenever you want. Instead of just watching it on demand. If it’s a show that you don’t care to watch in order, then this is a really cool feature to have.
discovery+ channels will be available on January 29, 2021. About three and a half weeks after the service’s launch.
Will they be in 4K?
Some content is going to be available in 4K resolution. However, that will mostly pertain to Nature and Animal shows. So don’t expect to see 90 Day Fiancee available in 4K.
Additionally, this will only be available on Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV at launch. But Discovery plans to bring that to more devices in the coming months.
There were no plans announced to film all of its exclusives in 4K, however. So the majority of the content available on discovery+ will likely stay in 720p or 1080p.
What networks are available on discovery+?
discovery+ is going to provide you with all of your favorite Discovery networks. This includes HGTV, Food Network, TLC, ID, OWN, Travel Channel, Discovery Channel and Animal Planet, to name a few.
There will be over 55,000 episodes from more than 2,500 shows across these channels. And new episodes will be added as they air.
Is CNN coming to discovery+?
Yes. Following the closure of CNN+ back in the Spring of 2022, and after the merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia, forming Warner Bros. Discovery, CNN Originals are coming to Discovery+.
The company announced that on August 19, CNN original series are going to be available on discovery+ as part of a new hub. Some of those titles include: “Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy,” ”Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown,” ”United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell,” and ”This is Life with Lisa Ling”. While some HLN original series will also make their way to discovery+, those include “How It Really Happened,” ”Death Row Stories,” ”The Hunt with John Walsh” and ”Very Scary People.”
Interestingly, there won’t be any live news on the CNN hub, but that could be coming later on. Especially as things heat up with the midterms happening in November.
What exclusives are coming to discovery+?
discovery+ surprisingly, has a long list of exclusives that will be coming in 2021. In fact, Discovery claims that it will add over 1,000 hours of exclusive content to discovery+ in 2021. Which is pretty incredible. It’ll mostly consist of verticals and spin-offs from the company’s already mega-popular shows. Like plenty of spin-offs in the “90 day universe” as Discovery calls it.
Below is a list of everything that discovery+ will be adding:
Love and Relationships
- 90 Day Bares All: Get ready for your favorite 90 Day couples to bare it all – the lies, the secrets and everything we couldn’t show on TV. Hosted by Shaun Robinson, this companion series to 90 Day Fiancé will put cast members in the hot seat where they reveal pivotal new information and speak completely uncensored. Exclusive content, must-see footage and all the stories behind 90 Day Fiancé!
- 90 Day Diaries: an intimate look into the lives of our couples, told from their perspective. Without producers or crew, the cast members film themselves in their day-to-day lives as they continue to navigate the COVID-19 pandemic and all of the new challenges it brings to their relationships.
- 90 Day Journey: The ultimate collection of 90 Day Fiancé stories for the 90 Day Superfan are now on demand! Each curated mini-series is made up of every single scene a beloved couple has appeared in across each show in the 90 Day Universe. Now fans can watch each couples’ story from the very beginning how and when they want to.
- The Other Way Strikes Back!: Viewers will get a fresh look at the duos that fans have come to know and love, sharing their home lives, behind-the-scenes details missed by cameras and addressing some of the most outrageous, cringe-worthy moments and sassy social media and pillow talk commentary of the second season of The Other Way.
- Amy Schumer Learns to Cook: Uncensored: discovery+ offers an updated and uncensored look at the Emmy-nominated series.
- Bobby and Giada in Italy: Longtime friends Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis take viewers on a culinary tour of Italy. It’s the ultimate road trip across the most delicious country on earth.
- Cakealikes: This comedic, ultimate cake off competition challenges experts to create life-size cakes that are the spitting image of famed celebrities. Hosted by Tregaye Fraser and judged by hyper realistic cake artist Natalie Sideserf, hilarious food commentator Kalen Allen, and a rotating guest judge, this panel will keep you laughing through every red carpet cake-win and cake-fail!
- Chopped Challenge: Chopped Challenge brings the high drama of Chopped episodes into the homes of Judges Maneet Chauhan, Scott Conant, Amanda Freitag, Marc Murphy, Marcus Samuelsson and Geoffrey Zakarian as they use their culinary mastery to create delicious and inventive recipes from three rounds of mystery basket ingredients. Intercutting self-shot footage, the judges compete against the clock to answer the ultimate Chopped aficionado question…what would the judges make?
- Lovely Bites with Chef Lovely: Lovely Bites invites viewers to the Lovely home and lovely world of Chef Connie “Lovely” Jackson as she prepares fabulous bites for special occasions.
- Tregaye’s Way in the Kitchen: Tregaye Fraser is a youthful, modern mom – and professional chef! – who’s not afraid to push the boundaries of traditional cuisine… and not afraid to push her kids’ palates, finally solving the age-old question of “Mom, what’s for dinner?”
- American Detective with Lt. Joe Kenda: Joe Kenda, one of the toughest, most experienced homicide detectives in ID history, is back exclusively on discovery+ with an all new series. Over the years, Kenda has heard about cases that defy logic – investigations so confounding that they feel more scripted in Hollywood than reality. In American Detective, Kenda trades in his own case files to bring viewers astounding investigations from across the country, with each episode featuring a different homicide detective whose tireless efforts helped put a killer behind bars and bring justice for the victim.
- Onision: In Real Life: Greg Jackson, known to the world as “Onision,” discovered YouTube when the platform was still burgeoning in the digital world. And as the power of YouTube grew, the character “Onision” grew with it. Jackson amassed millions of subscribers across multiple channels, luring in viewers with his off-kilter, opinionated and dark humor. But while his channels were twisted, his real life might be more sinister. This cutting-edge investigative series explores the mystery, controversy and alleged criminality surrounding Greg Jackson, bringing forward new research and revelations about the man that the YouTube community loves to hate.
- Frozen in Time: Maureen McCormick and designer Dan Vickery overhaul homes that are stuck in a design time warp. Dan will update the structure, while Maureen sources beautiful decade-specific pieces to give the home a refreshed look and a wink to its original era.
- House Hunters: Comedians on Couches Unfiltered: America’s favorite past time—watching and commenting on House Hunters—will get a fun new twist in this pithy new series led by comedians Dan Levy and Natasha Leggero. The series will feature eight popular comedians as they deliver hilariously unfiltered color commentary on classic episodes of House Hunters. The celebrity lineup includes Seth Rogen, John Mulaney, Ali Wong, JB Smoove, Chelsea Peretti, Whitney Cummings, Margaret Cho and NBA star-turned-comic, Blake Griffin.
- Home Town: Ben’s Workshop: Master woodworker Ben Napier will share his expertise in craftsmanship and carpentry with celebrity guests including astronaut Scott Kelly, tennis legend Martina Navratilova, comedian Loni Love, and country singer Chris Lane. In this four-episode series, Ben’s visitors are in for a fun Southern experience – building iconic wood projects and making surprise visits to donate them to the community or a neighbor.
- HGTV’s House Party: This exciting new talk show features interviews with top HGTV talent, including David Bromstad, Tarek El Moussa, Jasmine Roth, Alison Victoria and more. Stephen “tWitch” Boss, Allison Holker Boss, Derek Hough and Margaret Cho are among the many HGTV superfans who stop by to join the fun. Each episode features games, DIY challenges and some good old-fashioned gossip.
- Tarek’s Flip Side: Star house-flipper Tarek El Moussa has a lot to celebrate in his personal life. In this series, the real estate and home renovation expert shares the stories behind his proposal to fiancée Heather Rae Young and candidly reveals a few wedding plans. Along the way, Tarek takes his daughter Taylor on a tour of his latest house flip. He wants to know what she thinks of the project and hopes he can inspire her to get an early start in the family business.
- Christina: Stronger By Design: Christina Anstead, star designer and home renovation expert, starts a fresh chapter in her life and reflects on what inspires her as she as rethinks her own home’s design, including a bedroom refresh and a beautiful tablescape for her backyard. Christina also shares her personal wellness journey, her routine for self-care and a few of her favorite go-to beauty regimens with her makeup artist and best friend Shannon. The pair, along with friend Cassie, chat about life, motherhood, friendships and new beginnings.
Magnolia Network Preview
- Magnolia Table with Joanna Gaines: Infused with her warmth and passion for all things family, Joanna Gaines spends time in the kitchen sharing her favorite recipes, where they come from, and why she finds herself returning to them time and time again. New episodes will rollout weekly.
- Magnolia Network: A Look Ahead: Chip and Joanna give a first look at some of the stories, people and projects that inspired the couple to create a network.
- Road to Launch: Chip and Joanna catch up with some of the extraordinary storytellers and highlight the exciting selection of shows coming to Magnolia Network.
- The Courage to Run with Chip Gaines and Gabe Grunewald: In this documentary special, Chip Gaines fortuitously meets professional runner and rare cancer fighter Gabe Grunewald. Together they set out to train for a marathon, and along the way find a friendship that alters Chip’s perspective forever.
- Premiere episodes from 10 upcoming Magnolia Network original series, including:
- The Lost Kitchen: In brave pursuit of following her passion, Erin French opened a restaurant in her hometown of Freedom, Maine. Travelers from all over the world gather at The Lost Kitchen to enjoy Erin’s locally-inspired and sourced menu.
- Family Dinner: Host Andrew Zimmern visits families across America to explore how the cultural, regional, and historical facets of who we are inform what and how we eat.
- The Fieldhouse: At The Fieldhouse, physical and personal challenges are tackled head-on. Owner Justin Bane and his staff change lives by restoring and rehabilitating clients from the inside out at this cutting-edge fitness facility in Abilene, Texas.
- First Time Fixer: First-time house flippers take their home renovation dreams into their own hands and experience the risk and reward that comes with trying something new.
- Home on the Road with Johnnyswim: Abner Ramirez and Amanda Sudano Ramirez of the musical duo Johnnyswim document their three-month cross-country tour, while juggling their growing family and finding new adventures in each city along the way.
- Restoration Road with Clint Harp: Carpenter Clint Harp hits the road in search of incredible historical structures across the country that are in need of restoration, while exploring their origins and dreaming of their futures.
- Super Dad: Father and DIY expert Taylor Calmus, along with his team of skilled builders, help aspiring DIY dads turn their kids’ outrageous backyard dreams into playtime realities.
- Point of View: A Designer Profile: Giving a behind-the-curtain look into the mind of interior designers, this anthology series lets in on their creative processes and introduces the inspirations and influences that shape their designs.
- Self Employed: Entrepreneur Jonathan Morris travels the country to share the inspirational stories and new challenges of small business owners and their journeys to building their dream jobs.
- Growing Floret: Erin and Chris Benzakien have spent the last decade building their family-run business Floret Farms in the fertile Skagit River Valley of Washington State. Now considered one of the most well-known flower farms in the world, they’ve decided to risk everything by adding and rehabilitating 24 new acres of land to expand their business.
- Say Yes to the Dress: In Sickness and In Health: During the COVID epidemic, brides have had their wedding dreams crushed. The team of Randy Fenoli and Hayley Paige will stop at nothing to help these women still have their special day.
- Pimple Popper: This is Zit: Dr. Sandra Lee shares all the gory details behind some of her most difficult pops. Watch intimate excavation videos of blackheads so big and cysts so goopy, they have to be seen to be believed.
- Gold Rush: Freddy Dodge’s Mine Rescue: Gold recovery expert Freddy Dodge helps struggling mine owners in this six-part series. If he can increase the owner’s weekly gold haul, he gets a cut of the profits, but if he fails… he doesn’t charge a dime.
- Race Across the World: How would you race across the globe… if you couldn’t fly and didn’t have a phone? In this real-world adventure series, five teams of two are racing from point A to B… without flying. Each team must travel across the globe by whatever means they can: foot, car, bicycle, boat, bus, ferry, motorbike, horse … with only the price of a flight ticket in their pocket (which will have to cover their food and accommodation), it’s set to be the ultimate globe-trotting expedition. Who will make it in the quickest time and win a big cash prize?
Nature, Science & Animals
- Mysterious Planet: Narrated by David Schwimmer, Mysterious Planet is an epic journey to the ends of the earth. Combining humor with the awe and beauty of the natural world, this special looks to unlock the greatest mysteries behind the world’s most incredible species.
- Six Degrees with Mike Rowe: Mike Rowe poses questions that no one has ever asked, and then, (with a little help from his old buddy Chuck), provides unforgettable answers that prove every single thing is connected.
- BattleBots: The Bounty Hunters: Builders from around the globe get a chance to call their shot in a series of six all-new, two-hour events. Six of the most feared Bots in the sport of robot combat. Six one-of-a-kind bounty prizes.
- Elephant Hospital: Take a trip to the world’s largest hospital devoted solely to treating elephants: the Elephant Hospital in Lampang, Northern Thailand, which cares for over 100 sick, injured or neglected animals each year. With unique access to the daily challenges faced by the vets and volunteers on site, this is a heart-warming series full of uplifting, extraordinary and unexpected stories.
- S., Burn This Letter Please: A box of letters, held in secret for nearly 60 years, ignites a five-year exploration into a part of LGBTQ+ history that has never been told. The letters open a window into a forgotten world where being yourself meant breaking the law and where the penalties for “masquerading” as a woman were swift and severe.
- Restaurant Hustle 2020: All on the Line – Director’s Cut: a self-shot documentary from Executive Producer and Co-Director Guy Fieri that follows four of America’s favorite chefs – Maneet Chauhan, Antonia Lofaso, Christian Petroni and Marcus Samuelsson, as they each picked up a camera and with the help of friends and family, documented the challenges their restaurants faced as COVID-19 swept across the United States.
- The Impossible Row: Documenting adventurer Colin O’Brady and his crew’s attempt at the world’s first completely human powered ocean row across The Drake Passage, the most dangerous 600 miles of open ocean on Earth.
- Beyond Borders: More people have been to space than flown around the world in a single prop plane. And this was not lost on filmmaker Juan-Peter Schulze (JP) and influencer / travel vlogger Louis Cole as they set off on a dangerous mission to circumnavigate the world in a single-engine, 1974 Cessna T210L airplane named Baloo. This adventure wasn’t just to see if it was possible, but to experience the many cultures and societies that make up our beautiful planet. The trip was emotionally and physically draining, pushing them to their limits and forcing the pair to face situations which, if handled badly, could have had dire consequences. From losing critical equipment over oceans, past the point of no return, to confronting fighter jets at ten thousand feet on the other side of the world. This is Beyond Borders.
- Judi Dench’s Wild Borneo Adventure: Dame Judi Dench and conservationist David Mils are setting out on a trip of a lifetime to uncover the lush rainforests, magical wildlife and spectacular coastlines of Malaysian Borneo in this two-part series.
- JonBenet Ramsey: What Really Happened?: This feature-length documentary exploring the JonBenet Ramsey case, one of America’s most notorious and captivating unsolved murder mysteries, showcases the exclusive and previously unheard audio diaries of legendary detective Lou Smit, who worked on 200 murder cases and was brought out of retirement in Denver to work on this homicide. Police immediately suspected her parents John and Patsy Ramsey of the murder, but after reviewing the evidence, Lou thought otherwise and he recorded it all.
- Extreme Everest: An adrenaline-fueled adventure to the world’s highest peak. Ant Middleton isn’t afraid to take on a challenge. But there’s one dangerous mission he’s not yet carried out … to scale the most famous, unforgiving and tallest mountain in the world, Everest.
- Monster Garage: Jesse James team gets seven days to complete a project. If they succeed, they each walk away with $5K. If they don’t, Jesse’s free to destroy the monster – by blowing it up.
- Auto Biography: A premium documentary strand that tells the most surprising and phenomenal stories about iconic cars and legendary drivers that have changed the motoring world and continue to do so today.
Paranormal & The Unexplained
- Amityville Horror House: Exclusive archive reveals frightening, new secrets from George and Kathy Lutz’s brief stay in one of America’s most wonderous haunts.
- Ghost Adventures: Cecil Hotel: The Ghost Adventures team investigates a LA hotel with a long history of unnatural deaths and dark forces have been looming over the hotel for over a century.
- Ghost Adventures: Top 10: Zak, Aaron, Billy and Jay present the best evidence of the paranormal, the existence of these varied phenomena and the many ways the afterlife manifests.
Paranormal & The Unexplained
- UFO Witness: Decades ago, the United States Air Force commissioned Project Blue Book, a top-secret investigation to review every UFO sighting on record. Now, one of the original scientists who worked on the project, Dr. Jennie Zeidman, has agreed to open up her archives to be reexamined by the next generations of UFO investigators.
Fascinating Families & Extraordinary Lifestyles
- Toddler’s & Tiaras: Where Are They Now?: It’s been over 10 years since the brand-building hit first premiered, and this series catches up with some of our favorite toddler beauty queens – now young women
What are the top shows on discovery+?
Here are some of the more popular shows that we will see on discovery+. And you will be able to stream all of its episodes, at anytime.
- Fixer Upper (Chip and Joanna Gaines)
- Property Brothers (Jonathan and Drew Scott)
- Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (Guy Fieri)
- 90-Day Fiance
- Ice Road Truckers
- The First 48
- Pawn Stars
- Dance Moms
- Storage Wars
What platforms are supported?
discovery+ is available on most of the popular streaming platforms. This includes the following:
- Android TV
- Google Chromecast
- Chromecast with Google TV
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Samsung Smart TVs (2017 and newer)
- Xbox One series,
- Xbox Series X|S
- Vizio Smart TVs (Starting December 16, 2021)
- LG Smart TVs (starting October 13, 2021)
Notably absent here is both the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. It’s unclear if that will be coming in the future or not. But where discovery+ is available on Xbox consoles, it is likely coming soon.
Amazon has also confirmed that discovery+ will be coming to Prime Video Channels later this year. But not specify when. Adding it to Prime Video Channels, means that you can watch discovery+ content within the Prime Video app. And also activate and deactivate your subscription easier, within the Prime Video app.
Which countries is it available in?
Currently, discovery+ is available in the United Kingdom, Ireland, India and the US.
Internationally, the service will be available in the Nordics, Italy, Netherlands, and Spain. It will launch in Latin America and Brazil, as well as parts of Asia later this year. Though it’s currently unclear when it will hit those other countries.
Is it worth it, to subscribe to discovery+?
discovery+ is entering a very crowded streaming market right now. Which was tough for even HBO MAX and Peacock to enter. Which, HBO MAX was already something a lot of people were subscribing too. They just get even more content for the same price now. And Peacock is free for Comcast subscribers, or $5/month for everyone else. And both still had trouble gaining steam.
However, the difference for discovery+ is that it will be bringing a bunch of everyone’s popular shows to this streaming service. And it is only $4.99 per month (or $6.99 if you don’t want ads). Which makes it very enticing. Not to mention the number of exclusive shows it plans to launch in 2021 alone. Only time will tell us if it is worth it.
If you watch a lot of shows on TLC, HGTV, OWN, and other networks on Discovery, then this streaming service is going to be worth checking out.