Samsung Undecided About Using Exynos 2300 In Galaxy S23

Samsung exynos google

Samsung seems to be undecided on whether to use in-house Exynos processors on its flagship smartphones anymore. There’s reportedly an internal conflict over the matter. Tipster Ice Universe is claiming that the company’s mobile division doesn’t want to ship the Galaxy S23 series with Exynos chipsets (via). It wants to use Qualcomm’s Snapdragon solutions on its 2023 flagships globally. But Samsung Electronics is pressuring it to continue using in-house processors at least in some markets.

Samsung has long sold its flagship smartphones with Exynos and Snapdragon chipsets depending on the market. The company has faced a lot of backlash for it, particularly because of the performance gap between the two solutions. Exynos have always underperformed competing solutions from Qualcomm. This gap has widened in recent years, forcing Samsung to use Snapdragon processors in more markets. Only about 30 percent of the Galaxy S22 phones sold this year featured the Exynos 2200. The rest (70 percent) used the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.

With the Korean firm’s chip division seemingly failing to improve things with the Exynos 2300, its mobile division wants to entirely rely on the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 for the Galaxy S23 series. While there hasn’t been concrete evidence of it, we have come across some half-hearted rumors supporting this possibility. Turns out Samsung itself is undecided yet. Perhaps the company may eventually end up using the Exynos 2300 in a few markets. But the share of Snapdragon solutions may still go up. We expect to get a confirmation soon as the Galaxy S23 phones are already deep in development.


The Exynos 2300 is in development too

Even if Samsung’s mobile division ditches processors made by its sister firm, the company will continue making them. The Exynos 2300 is already in development with model number S5E9935 and the codename “Quadra”. It would be a GAA-based (gate-all-around fabrication process) 3nm chipset featuring ARM’s v9 CPU cores, including the Cortex-X3 super core, Cortex-A715 mid-core, and Cortex-A510 efficiency cores. It should also use AMD’s new mobile graphics solution. Precise clock speeds and other details are not known as of now.

Samsung is looking to supply the Exynos 2300 to Chinese phone makers such as OPPO, Vivo, and Xiaomi. But time will tell whether the solution will also find a place inside the Galaxy S23 phones. The chipset will be certainly ready in time for the next-gen Galaxy flagships. We will keep you posted with all the latest developments around this. The Galaxy S23 phones are said to arrive in February 2023.