X

Samsung Readying Its Second-Gen 200MP Camera For The Galaxy S23

Samsung 200MP smartphone camera Galaxy S23
Advertisement

A report earlier this month claimed that Samsung is developing a second-gen 200-megapixel camera for smartphones. Called the ISOCELL HP3, the new sensor is now in the final stage of development, Korean media is reporting. The company has reportedly already shared the development roadmap with its partners. It could use the improved 200MP camera on the Galaxy S23 series next year.

According to the Korean publication ET NewsSamsung is in the process of finalizing the manufacturing plans for the ISOCELL HP3. The company will reportedly split the responsibility between its multiple business divisions. Its electronic component manufacturing unit Samsung Electro-Mechanics will reportedly manufacture 70 percent of the total volume. The Korean conglomerate’s mobile division may make the remaining 30 percent.

The Galaxy S23 Ultra could feature the new 200MP camera

For the past three years, Samsung has used a 108-megapixel sensor for the primary rear camera on its Ultra model Galaxy S-series flagships. The Galaxy S20 Ultra first used it in 2020, followed by the Galaxy S21 Ultra in 2021 and the Galaxy S22 Ultra this year. But things could finally change next year. The Galaxy S23 Ultra could switch to the company’s upcoming 200-megapixel sensor.

Advertisement

If you remember, Samsung already has a 200-megapixel camera for smartphones. Called the ISOCELL HP1, the sensor was announced in September last year. But it expectedly didn’t feature on the Galaxy S22 series. The company tends to skip using first-gen high-resolution cameras in its products. Well, the gigantic smartphone camera has yet to make its debut on a device but that’s another matter.

In the meantime, the Korean firm is already readying an improved version. From what it appears, Samsung may be developing the new sensor with the Galaxy S23 Ultra in mind. It may have taken the existing sensor and improved the overall performance and imaging quality. Unfortunately, we don’t yet have any specs or data to confirm what upgrades the ISOCELL HP3 brings over the HP1.

Nonetheless, with the Galaxy S23 series not coming until next year. there’s a lot of time in Samsung’s hands to further refine the upcoming 200-megapixel camera. We expect to hear more about the new camera and the Galaxy S23 series phones in the second half of the year, once the company is done announcing its 2022 foldables. The Galaxy Z Fold 4, Galaxy Z Flip 4, and the Galaxy Watch 5 series could go official in the third quarter. We will keep you posted.

Advertisement