Samsung is unlikely to make an appearance at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2021 due to the still-raging coronavirus pandemic.
The South Korean tech behemoth will not be attending the upcoming MWC 2021 and skip in-person exhibitions. However, the company will join the event online.
As a result, Samsung will not unveil its latest products and technologies offline during the event. The MWC is touted as a place where decision-makers meet.
Major companies likely to skip the MWC Barcelona 2021
MWC 2021 is slated to take place in Barcelona, Spain between June 28 and July 1. The hotly-anticipated event usually takes place between February and early March every year.
Regrettably, the tech expo was canceled in 2020 due to a coronavirus pandemic. The event was postponed to June.
Aside from Samsung, several tech giants have already announced their withdrawal from the event citing coronavirus concerns.
Leading IT firms including Ericsson, Nokia, and Sony have confirmed that they have pulled out of the event.
As far as local firms are concerned, KT Corp last month announced it will not participate in in-person exhibitions at this year’s MWC, Business Standard reported. KT Corp is a Korean telecommunications company.
SK Telecom Co. has not confirmed its participation. However, industry sources suggest that the nation’s largest mobile carrier is likely to skip offline exhibitions as well.
With a reputation of being the country’s No. 3 telecom firm, LG Uplus Corp. has been jointly exhibiting its products with LG Electronics Inc. at the MWC. Google will also not attend the event due to COVID-19 pandemic.
LG Electronics recently withdrew from the smartphone business. According to sources, the mobile carrier will not join the event.
Undeterred by this, the organizers are proceeding with their plans to conduct MWC 2021, according to SamMobile.
MWC is one of the world’s top three tech events, along with CES (Consumer Electronics Show) in the U.S.A., and IFA in Germany.
There will be no Samsung booth at MWC 2021
Samsung has been one of the major IT firms to attend the Mobile World Congress. However, it does not plan to grace the event this year.
The company released a statement, explaining why it decided to withdraw from the upcoming event. In its statement, Samsung said its number one priority is the health and safety of its customers, partners, and employees.
Despite withdrawing from in-person at this year’s event, Samsung said it will be participating virtually. The company plans to continue working alongside GSMA industry partners to improve mobile experiences.