Sometimes it's impossible to download an app through the Google Play Store because of various reasons. Therefore, the best solution is to download and install the apk file of this app instead. However, how to check whether this apk file is safe or not?
When should we download an apk file?
Downloading an app from the Google Play Store is the fastest and maybe the safest way for your Android phones, but not everyone can successfully install apps from this market, especially when Android users encounter these cases:
- Google Play doesn't work.
- To download apps which are limited by countries or regions. For example, YouTube Music is available on Google Play in some countries, except for Vietnam or Korea… So, the best way for Vietnamese or Korean to use YouTube Music is downloading its APK file.
- The Android version does not meet the requirements of the app.
- To use apps on PC with the support of an Android emulator software such as KO Player, Memu, BlueStacks or Nox Player.
How to enable APK on Android
Sideloading APK files on Android devices is not difficult. The first thing that you need to do is to enable Unknown Sources to make sure that your phone can accept sources that are not from the Google Play Store. After that, you can install any apps which came packaged in the APK file.
How to check whether an apk file is safe or not?
Your Android phone is vulnerable to viruses and malware if you download apk files from untrusted websites. Therefore, it's important to find a reliable source such as apktovi.com to download. If you still don't believe in the security of an apk file, we will show you some tools to help you scan and check it.
Checking the hash
Using Hash Droid and APKTOVI CHECKER TOOL
A good way to check an APK file is by checking its hash. The SHA of a file is a kind of digital fingerprint which ensures that data is not modified or tampered with.
You should use Hash Droid- a useful app to check the hash on your phone. When you input the apk file into the check bar, HashDroid will show you everything about MD5, SHA-1, and SHA-256 of this app.
– Download and install HashDroid from Google Play.
– Choose Hash a File, then select a Hash function such as MD5, SHA-1 or SHA-256.
– Select "Click here to select the file to hash" to upload your apk file.
– Tap Calculate to get the result.
The app only shows information about the hash. So, how could you know if this apk file is original or not? After checking an apk file on HashDroid, you access APKTOVI Checker Tool, hit "Click Upload APK File" and upload the apk file that you have checked by HashDroid. Then, let's wait for the file to be uploaded and scanned.
You will see the result of SHA1 of this APK file and a notification about whether your file is unmodified or not. If the checksum is similar to the result on HashDroid, it can be said that your apk file is original and safe.
Scanning the apk files
VirusTotal is an extremely famous website which helps people to check for viruses and other issues of an apk file. However, the file size limited is under 128MB.
To scan files in VirusTotal, you need to:
– Access the website of VirusTotal
– Click on Choose File, then choose the file you want to scan in the browser dialogue box and then wait a minute to get the result.
There are many online comments praising the effectiveness of VirusTotal. Therefore, you can believe in this tool. Besides, your work will be more convenient as the VirusTotal app is also available on Android phones.
2. NViso APKScan
NViso APKScan is also a good choice to scan your APK file. This tool also provides you with a detailed report on the APK file that you have checked. One advantage of NViso APKScan is that it doesn't limit the file size. So, to use it, do the following steps:
– Access the website of NVISO APKScan.
– Click Choose File and then choose the file you want to scan in the browser dialogue box. Wait for your apk file to be uploaded and then click on Scan Package. The process can take a while, depending on your position in the queue. Therefore, it would be better to tick the box "Email me the results when the scan has finished" and enter your email address. The result will be sent to your email and you can safely close this window after hitting "Scan Package" to save your time.
The bottom line
Hopefully, this post helps you discover some useful tools to check your APK files. If you still encounter any problems during your scanning process, feel free to contact us!