Huawei Committed To Earning US "Trust" Despite Tensions

Huawei has no plans to exit the stateside market and will continue operating in the United States even after Washington effectively blocked all of its major growth opportunities in the country, according to Richard Yu, Chief Executive Officer of the company's electronics division. In a recent email to CNET, Mr. Yu said the tech giant remains committed "to earning the trust of U.S. consumers," having added that it "would never compromise that trust." The comments come shortly after Huawei disclosed its consolidated financial report for the last fiscal year, revealing record profits but also a decline in the performance of its North and South America operations.

While the company largely attributed that trend to a decrease in network spending in Latin America, the fact that it was essentially blocked from doing large-scale business in the U.S. may have also resulted in the decline of its North America results, many industry watchers believe. The Shenzhen-based original equipment manufacturer was previously said to have been negotiating smartphone retail partnerships with AT&T and Verizon but both ended up dropping that idea following pressure from Washington, according to previous reports. AT&T's exit is understood to have been a particularly large blow to the company's stateside ambitions as a deal with the second largest wireless carrier in the country was already agreed and was supposed to be announced at Las Vegas-based CES approximately 24 hours after the company canceled the tie-up, insiders said several months back.

Earlier this week, Huawei announced the P20 and P20 Pro, its most powerful Android flagships to date that some industry watchers already claim boast the best mobile cameras ever created. Neither device will be sold in the U.S. and the same lack of stateside availability also applies to the newly unveiled Porsche Design Mate RS, Huawei confirmed. Multiple U.S. regulators and intelligence chiefs previously accused the company of posing a security risk due to its close ties to Beijing, with Huawei repeatedly dismissing those allegations. Mr. Yu also called such accusations "groundless" in his Friday email to CNET, having asserted the entire situation is "quite frankly unfair" and called for an open debate on the matter "based on facts."

Copyright ©2019 Android Headlines. All Rights Reserved
This post may contain affiliate links. See our privacy policy for more information.
You May Like These
More Like This:
About the Author
2018/10/2018-10-23.jpg

Dominik Bosnjak

Head Editor
Dominik started at AndroidHeadlines in 2016 and is the Head Editor of the site today. He’s approaching his first full decade in the media industry, with his background being primarily in technology, gaming, and entertainment. These days, his focus is more on the political side of the tech game, as well as data privacy issues, with him looking at both of those through the prism of Android. Contact him at [email protected]
Android Headlines We Are Hiring Apply Now