Controversial Snapchat Redesign To Get Better, Company Says

The controversial redesign of Snapchat that prompted over a million people to sign an online petition against it elicited a response from the company earlier this week, with Snap saying the new Friends page will get better and "smarter" over time, thanking the users for their feedback but asking them to remain patient. The revamped Discover section is also meant to become more intuitive to navigate as time goes on and people use it for longer, with the artificial intelligence algorithms that are backing it being designed to personalize content and cater to each individual user, according to the company.

The redesign separated the content posted by one's friends from that made by celebrities and brands but has otherwise joined direct messages, stories, and snaps into a single tab, with the petition arguing the change made the app much more chaotic to navigate. The Venice, California-based firm previously said it expects the new design to annoy some users but asserted it's fully convinced it will benefit its service in the long term, with Chief Executive Officer Evan Spiegel describing the move as "separating social from media." The complaints about all content from one's friends being bulked together will be addressed in the coming weeks on both Android and iOS, Snap said in its response to the petition, revealing its plans to add tabs to both the Friends and Discover sections of Snapchat so as to allow users to filter through them more easily. Following the upcoming update, users will be able to sort the content on both feeds by parameters such as group chats, subscriptions, and stories.

The core design of the app will still remain unchanged but will adapt to anyone's needs so long as they give it a chance, the company concluded. Mr. Spiegel recently said the overhaul of Snapchat serves as a good reminder that celebrities aren't your friends and reiterated the change will help the platform grow going forward. Snap recently posted its best quarter to date despite losing $350 million in the three-month period ending December 31, having managed to add nearly nine million users to its service and showing signs that its revenue will eventually outpace its losses.

You May Like These
More Like This:
About the Author
2018/10/2018-10-23.jpg

Dominik Bosnjak

Head Editor
Dominik started at AndroidHeadlines in 2016 and is the Head Editor of the site today. He’s approaching his first full decade in the media industry, with his background being primarily in technology, gaming, and entertainment. These days, his focus is more on the political side of the tech game, as well as data privacy issues, with him looking at both of those through the prism of Android. Contact him at [email protected]
Android Headlines We Are Hiring Apply Now