U.S. Senators Tom Carper and Claire McCaskill recently raised concerns about the fact that President Trump is reportedly still using an unsecured Android smartphone made by Samsung. The two democratic Senators and members of the Homeland Security Committee wrote a comprehensive letter detailing their concerns to Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis. In their three-page letter sent on February 9, Carper and McCaskill explained how they're worried about recent reports that President Trump isn't using a secure phone like it was previously believed, adding that such state of affairs is a huge national security risk. Furthermore, the Senators also reflected on reports that the current U.S. President is using his Samsung-made phone to access Twitter by saying that his tweets are considered records by the National Archives and Records Administration. As such, Trump's tweets must be preserved for historic purposes, the Senators said. Given how an ordinary phone like the one Trump is reportedly using wasn't designed to maintain a record of everything that's been said using it, Trump's tweeting isn't in line with the Presidential Records Act, the letter says.
Carper and McCaskill gave Mattis a month to respond to their concerns, meaning the current Secretary of Defense is supposed to address their letter until March 9. However, it wasn't until this Monday that Carper revealed the contents of the letter on Twitter. Former President Obama reportedly used a heavily modified version of the BlackBerry 8830 which was subsequently replaced by a customized variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4. However, neither device was able to access Twitter, which is what allegedly makes Trump reluctant to start using a phone issued by the U.S. government. On the other hand, Trump may not be tweeting by himself seeing how he once said he dictates his tweets to his executive assistant who posts them for him.
Regardless, President Trump's reported use of an unsecured Android smartphone continues to raise concerns among the U.S. politicians and agencies. If Trump truly refused to use a government-issue smartphone, that turn of developments would be unprecedented in modern American history. It remains to be seen whether the current U.S. President will publicly address these concerns in the future.