Samsung launched its flagship smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy S7 back in February of this year, and reports of the device exploding or catching on fire have been rarely heard of. However, a Canadian man who owns a Galaxy S7 was unfortunate enough to be carrying a unit which exploded in his car this past Sunday. Amarjit Mann who is 34-years old, was driving his car and he had his Galaxy S7 in his pocket when he began to feel a warmness being emitted from the phone. When Mann took the smartphone out of his pocket, it exploded in his hands.
When the Galaxy S7 exploded in his hands, Mann already had his windows open and was able to throw the phone out of the window. However, the device was stuck to his hands for a moment before he was able to throw it out. After doing so, Mann had no smartphone to dial for help and he had to drive himself to a friend's home before heading to the hospital for treatment. Mann suffered second and third degree burns to his hands due to the explosion. During an interview at Seven Oaks Hospital, Mann said that he took the Galaxy S7 out of his pocket and it exploded right away. At first there was a little steam which hit his hand and then the device exploded like firecrackers do. Mann went on to say that one of those sparks hit him on his cheek just below his eyes and said that if the device was at his ear, his whole face would've been burnt.
Mann, who works as a mechanic, said he wants to pursue a lawsuit against Samsung for pain, and possibly lost wages. It is estimated that his hands will take eight to nine days to heal and he wants people to be aware of this, as the device is like a bomb you can carry. The Galaxy S7 was purchased by Mann about six months ago for about $1,000 CAD ($744) and his carrier has told him to contact Samsung directly regarding his concerns, which he intends to do. An image of Mann holding his burnt Galaxy S7 and his heavily bandaged hands can be seen below.