DMV Genie Permit Practice Test is an Android app that will give learner drivers all the questions they need to get ready for the 2016 DMV test, be it for a Car, Motorcycle or the CDL test. Not only is the app fully up-to-date with the 2016 tests, but it also features different practice tests for each and every one of the 50 states in the United States, which means you'll be practicing questions that you'll definitely be asked in an upcoming test at the DMV. Tests are based on those available from the driving-tests.org website and they claim to be better than the handbook. Is it really better than the handbook? Let's take a look and see.
First things first, the DMV Genie Permit Practice Test can be downloaded for free from the Play Store. All of the tests are free to take – just as they are in the iPhone app and online – but there are ads included here for the company to make at least a little money to keep revenue going.
The first thing learner drivers will need to do is to select which state they'll be taking their permit or driver's license test in. The next page has a list of all 50 available states, and once the appropriate state has been selected, they can select from one of three different vehicle types: car, motorcycle or CDL.
There are four different categories of practice tests to choose from, each with a different difficulty. Here's what the Easy tab looks like:
Each set of questions steadily keeps on getting more difficult, as well as more specific, too. This gives learners a chance to build up their knowledge before they're ready to tackle the more difficult questions that are out there.
There's also an Exam Mode: the DMV exam simulator that allows learners to try the exact same test format (number of question, skips, etc) that they'll end up facing when they go to their local DMV, giving them confidence when they walk in to the testing room that they'll pass.
The layout of the questions is nice and neat, and users just need to select an answer and hit the arrow to continue.
One thing that I thought was a nice touch was when learners would get a question wrong, the DMV Genie Permit Practice Test would not just count it as a wrong answer, but also outline why their given answer wasn't correct.
This will not only help learners understand what other questions might be getting at, but it will also make it easy to understand certain laws and reference when out driving or taking further tests.
At the end of each test, users are given a score as well as the ability to review their questions to see which ones they got wrong.
After spending some time with DMV Genie Permit Practice Test it's easy to see why it was so well-received on the iPhone before it made its way over to Android. With a well-respected website behind it, these tests are definitely 100% accurate and should hold no surprises for those looking to get their permit as quickly as possible. It's simple and straightforward, while also having all the right questions. The DMV Genie Permit Practice Test app looks good on both smartphones as well as tablets and having all 50 states and tests for motorcycles and CDL certification makes this an app that's truly for everyone. It doesn't matter how old you are, or how many times you might have failed before, this is a simple app that holds the key to success in a super-easy format.
- Speed (4/5) – DMV Genie Permit Practice Test runs nice and quickly, and it doesn't take long to take a 40-question test, even with the detailed answers to read through.
- Theme (4/5) – While fairly basic in its overall look and feel, the app still looks good, and helps to keep the DMV test content front and center for users.
- Features (5/5) – While it might seem like there's not much to do with an app like this, the DMV Genie Permit Practice Test app ticks all the right boxes. It's got tons of state-specific questions for all 50 states, each question comes with a hint and an explanation. There's a DMV Exam Simulator and the app has already been updated for 2016, what more could we ask for?
- Overall (4/5) – The ads in the app might be a little off-putting, but the rest of DMV Genie Permit Practice Test is great and will help learners get their permit in no time at all, and we'd like to say that it really is better than the standard Handbook.
- Has individual tests for each of the 50 different states, ensuring the same test as your local DMV.
- Supports not just car tests, but also motorcycle and CDL permits, too. The practice tests are good for the permit test, driver's license test and the senior citizens' refresher test.
- Gives users the reason behind every wrong answer, helping them improve for the future.
- Live support (Settings â†’ Speak to the Developers): real people will help you if you don't understand some tricky question.
- Practice tests, just the same as those from the DMV can really help people prepare for their big day.
- Ads might be a little in the way, as they appear during each and every question.
- Some extra flair in the look and feel might help younger users stay engaged when practicing tests.
All-in-all, DMV Genie Permit Practice Test is a great app for learners, and it has to be one of the most comprehensive out there. Not only does it have a test for each of the 50 states across the US, it also features detailed explanations for incorrect answers and such, helping users stay informed and helping them to learn, rather than just telling them they're wrong outright. Free to download and use, this is just the sort of app we'd expect from the people behind the excellent driving-tests.org and it's well worth looking into.