Age of Wushu Dynasty is an Android MMORPG that follows in the footsteps of the acclaimed PC MMORPG, Age of Wushu Dynasty. It aims to bring similar experiences, such as combat and adventure to Android players no matter where they are. Set during the Ming Dynasty in China, Age of Wushu Dynasty features stunning 3D graphics and real-time gameplay. The combat system features real-time combat as well as a rounded set of both defensive and offensive moves. With lots of great effects, real voiceovers and more, Age of Wushu has a lot going for it. A game built for those looking for a proper MMORPG experience on the move, Age of Wushu has a lot of promise, so let's see what it's all about.
First thing's first, players will need to download Age of Wushu Dynasty from the Play Store. When the game is launched, there's a little setup to go through, such as downloading the latest files from the server, and then users can choose their character and their kung fu school.
There are four different schools to choose, the Shaolin, the Wudang, the Emei and the Tangmen schools. Each of them can offer up either a female (not scantily-clad in ridiculous armor for once!) or a male character. They each have specific talents and moves, but the overall experience of the game will be similar no matter who you choose.
Getting started with Age of Wushu Dynasty is pretty easy, you'll be placed in a safe zone when connected to the server, and you can move around and explore by using the virtual control stick on the left.
As you can see, I chose to be part of the Wudang clan, and the first thing I'll need to do is to get involved with some quests, which are easily found from the left-hand menu.
Quests of course get more exciting and varied the further you get into the game, but one thing I appreciated was the fact that many of them are introduced with a fully-voiced introduction from someone else in the clan.
These first few quests were great at explaining to me some of the key combat systems such as the Parry system and it introduced me to the world of quality combat that Age of Wushu Dynasty has on offer.
Different schools have different combat styles which help spice things up, such as the colorful Emei school.
There are both PvE (Player vs Everyone) as well as PvP (Player vs Player) modes available in Age of Wushu Dynasty, and everything is set in this excellent scenery which looks great on Android:
Throughout playing Age of Wushu Dynasty, there are nice flares such as the rage mode attacks, which come with a special sort of attack animation.
The combat system here can be a whole lot of fun, and for those that are just getting started with the game, there are some pointers to help get used to the systems and mechanics.
There's a traditional element to Age of Wushu Dynasty when players complete a quest there's experience points given to players and a rating out of three stars.
There are even rewards given to players as well, which is a nice touch.
When playing Age of Wushu Dynasty I was beyond pleasantly-surprised, I've played my fair share of MMORPGs in my time, and am a big Elder Scrolls Online fan, but mobile MMORPGs have never cut it for me. Age of Wushu Dynasty however, seems to be just the right mix of simplicity with PC elements to deliver a great overall experience. The graphics are excellent and really help paint an exotic, fantasized picture of Ming Dynasty China, and while combat can seem a little slapstick at times it's accessible and addictive. Special moves like the Rage button and the Parry system add just a hint of the complicated controls we see in PC games, but they still fit in well with the mobile setting. I enjoyed the story quests quite a lot, and being able to play PvP online like this was refreshing, and I even tested this over a 3G connection with decent results. Altogether, this has to be one of the best action-RPGs I've played on Android, and one of the few MMORPGs out there that I actually find enjoyable.
- Speed (4/5) - Age of Wushu Dynasty runs nice and quickly, and for an MMORPG on a phone, I found few connection issues and everything ran smoothly.
- Features (5/5) - Android MMORPGs are often too ambitious or too feature-packed to be accessible, but Age of Wushu Dynasty has the right balance of combat, RPG elements and simple gameplay that we all enjoy on mobile devices.
- Theme (4.5/5) - Without doubt, Age of Wushu Dynasty is one of the better-looking MMORPG games available on Android and it channels that classic Chinese look and feel that a lot of people clearly like and it's refreshing to see female characters well-represented without ridiculous costumes as with other games like this.
- Overall (4.5/5) - While perhaps a little light on RPG features, there's more than enough on offer here for MMO fans and the Chinese Ming Dynasty setting has oodles of charm and it looks great.
- Quality look and feel with the Ming Dynasty making a nice change of pace to other MMORPG games out there.
- Different schools of Kung Fu have different attacks and move sets, offering some variety for players looking for something different.
- Combat is accessible yet varied making attacks, including defensive moves, real easy to perform on a smaller display.
- Lots of quests to undertake as well as PvP modes and more.
- Might not have enough RPG features for some people.
- Combat might not be enough like MMORPG games for some players hoping for a PC style of game.
With everything that Age of Wushu Dynasty has on offer, this is easily one of the best Android MMORPG games out there. The combat is varied and accessible, and there's a lot for players to sink their teeth in. The stunning Ming Dynasty setting looks great, and everything runs nice and smoothly for those looking for a varied and complete experience while on the go or for longer sessions at home. An altogether great experience, there's little reason not to try out and enjoy Age of Wushu Dynasty.