Dice App is an Android app that, well, allows you to roll dice on your smartphone or tablet. It’s designed as a more modern, playful approach to needing to roll the dice, after all there are so many reasons why rolling the dice is necessary. Whether you’ve lost the dice to your favorite board game, playing Dice Poker or just looking to settle a score by chance. Dice App for Android features up to 6 dice on screen, a simple addition read out for kids or those that struggle with math and the ability to map dice to your homescreen through a widget. As Dice apps go, this looks like a modern and fun approach to fairly utilitarian app, so let’s take a closer look.
As with other Android apps, you’ll need to download Dice App from the Play Store. It’s free to download, but features ads, and there’s a little disclaimer to read about these ads when you open up the app.
Should you want to remove these ads, you can do so in the settings menu for a small fee while also supporting the developer.
Using the app gave me the default view of two dice on the display:
This is a common number of dice for a lot of games out there, and you can see that there’s a number at the foot of the display that quickly shows the number in its numerical value. While it’s hard to show off the animation when rolling, the Dice sort of suck in to the device and then pop back out, which is a modern and playful approach, it’s also something that kids should really like as well.
Changing the number of dice is nice and simple in the settings menu, and you can go from 1 to 6 die at any time.
It might look a little crowded with as many as 6 in use, but some games need this sort of thing, so it’s good to see all the bases covered here.
In the settings menu, you can also explore other apps from the developer as well.
When it comes to apps that roll the dice, Dice App does exactly what you want it to. It’s fun and playful and will be a great little app for kids playing board games with parents and that sort of thing. It’s definitely a little limited in what it can do, but let’s be honest, if you need an app to roll the dice, there’s not much more you need it to do. A refreshing approach to the usual fake 3D dice apps out there, Dice App is a modern, colorful approach to something that we often find ourselves needing to use and it works really well.
- Speed (4/5) – Dice App is nice and quick, and there’s nothing to stop people getting access to quick numbers when they need them.
- Theme (4/5) – A colorful and fun approach to something that’s hardly all that exciting, Dice App works well and is good fun for all the family.
- Features (4/5) – It does exactly what it says it does and it makes deciding scores with chance easier and for kids looking to mix up board games, this has dice from 1 all the way up to 6 as well as quick addition.
- Overall (4/5) – It’s an app that rolls the dice for you, and if that’s what you need then Dice App is a fresh and colorful approach that many will find appealing.
- Offers dice from 1 all the way up to 6 to be used at once.
- Homescreen widget makes it easy to roll the dice whenever or wherever you are for deciding scores, etc.
- Offers up quick addition of numbers for those that struggle with math and for little ones.
- Colorful and fun approach makes this a modern and kooky little app.
- Addition window is a little difficult to see thanks to all the color.
- An Android Wear extension would be nice.
There’s something cute and fun about Dice App and even though it might not offer up the same sort of performance and features as other Dice apps, it gets the job done and is a colorful and fun. Great for anyone that needs something to roll some dice, this is a fun app that everyone can get behind.