Lang BridgeApp is an Android app that aims to bring people together using the power of the Internet and instant messaging, no matter where they are and no matter what language they speak. On the face of things, Lang BridgeApp is just another instant messaging app for Android, with all the same features, but there's much more to it than that. The app features an automatic translation feature, so you can talk to someone in Spain - who speaks Spanish - in English, and they'll read what you're saying in Spanish. The same thing happens in reverse, and it's a great way of connecting with people from all over the world, without the pesky language barrier getting in the way as it normally would.
If being able to speak with people all over the world without having to rush off to Google Translate sounds interesting to you, then you'll want to download Lang BridgeApp from the Play Store and sign up for an account.
This is your standard sort of registration page, but there's just one thing that you need to take a little extra care when choosing and that's your preferred language. This is how Lang BridgeApp will determine which language to translate to when you're talking to those in a different language.
So for example, I've chosen English and when I'm talking to people using Lang BridgeApp whatever they send to me will automatically be translated into English. The same can be said when I'm talking to someone who is a native Spanish speaker, they will see my English text in Spanish.
Adding friends is fairly easy, you can either choose profiles listed in the universal list here, or you can search for your friends quite easily.
You can also spread the word of Lang BridgeApp through the share menu, but it's not really that encouraging and is too long for a simple SMS message. A way to invite friends outside of this share menu would be nice.
The message view looks good, and is easy to attach content like images and such, too.
One feature of Lang BridgeApp I think is well worth trying out is the Huddle chat. This allows you to create a group chat around a certain topic, including being able to assign your own image to a group chat and name the topic, too.
This makes it nice and easy to talk to people all over the world no matter which language they speak. This means that for someone like myself, who is big on PS4 games, I can talk to people in different regions about the same topic and not have to deal with the whole language barrier thing.
After spending a little time with Lang BridgeApp it's easy to see why it's gained something of a cult following. For students learning to speak different languages and looking to make friends with those in different regions without the barrier, this is a great way to meet new people and learn something new about different cultures. I would like an easier way to invite people to the app, as the default share text just sends people to the the website, rather than an invite to download the app and get people on the same page. The idea of being able to talk to anyone and everyone all over the globe is what the Internet was made for, but with Lang BridgeApp, the language barrier is automatically broken down and you can talk to people no matter where they are. It's a great concept, and while it's a little rough around the edges, it works and it's an excellent way of connecting with people no matter their culture or native tongue.
- Speed (4/5) - A lot of this will depend on your connection speed, but even on slow 3G networks everything here runs well.
- Theme (4/5) - The app looks good enough and learning how to use Lang BridgeApp is easy enough as well.
- Features (4/5) - As just another messaging app, Lang BridgeApp doesn't add all that much to the table, but add in automatic translation to enable conversations all over the world no matter the language and we have a great app on our hands here.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid application, Lang BridgeApp is worth taking a look into if you have family in different countries or you want to connect o people of different cultures without the associated language barrier.
- Easy to get to grips with, free to sign up as well.
- Automatically translates whatever text you're sent through the app by using your preferred language chosen at setup.
- Huddle chat makes it simple and easy to create group chats focused around a certain project, great for organising events and so on.
- Lang BridgeApp also offers all the features you'd expect in an online instant messenger.
- Doesn't feature an easy way of inviting other friends to the network.
- Different themes for different nations would make it nice and easy to personalise things.
Lang BridgeApp is just one part of a big puzzle that aims to welcome all sorts of people to a community that doesn't care about language, culture, race or anything else. This app breaks down the language barrier, but there's also a fan-mania contest that's running right now, as well as a new online store to purchase music and movies. Going back to the app though, and Lang BridgeApp is something that many people will find useful for a number of things, and is well worth trying out.