Heli Skill is an Android game that puts you in control of a Helicopter in a war zone, charged with having to get the helicopter from one place to the other in order to keep things moving. With Heli Skill, you have 30 seconds to complete each of the 12 levels, however there are power ups and shields that can be bought using in-app purchases. Unlike other games from ETMGames, Heli Skill is more of an arcade style experience, but it still asks players for precision and patience in order to control the Helicopter properly. Let's take a closer look, shall we?
Heli Skill can be found in the Play Store, as with other games from ETMGames, and the main menu features a slow-motion Helicopter swooping past, which is a fun touch.
Getting started is nice and simple, and as you can see the controls are really quite straightforward, and there's only one viewpoint to concern yourself with.
While the control scheme is still quite simple, it does take some time to adjust to the sort of pace and adjustments the game needs from its players. Plus, the 30-second time limit does make things quite difficult. Should you succeed, you are given a rundown of how well you did as well as a rating out of three stars.
I found the first couple of levels to be okay, but a jet fighter kept on destroying my Helicopter in later levels, I guess this is a war zone after all.
This led me to keep failing this particular level, I guess need some more practice handling my helicopter.
As you progress, there are different obstacles and levels to work your way through.
A neat feature of Heli Skill is that you can pay for power ups and such to help you get through the levels if you find them difficult.
I don't mind so much this style of making money from a game, but I would have preferred the in-app purchases not to be quite so pay-to-win esque is all.
Heli Skill is good fun, not least because it brings back fond memories for me of older PC games, but also because it brings together the simulation aspect of other ETMGames with a more accessible, arcade style gameplay that will appeal to a lot more players than something a little more serious would. Over time, I did get quite good at the game, but I did feel that the fighter jets appeared quite a bit too quickly, and I almost thought that it would be impossible to make it past them without having to pay for one of the delays or something like that. Of course, if I was better at the game in the first place, I might not think like this. All-in-all, this is an accessible game with some good graphics and a realistic slant that just isn't found in other games these days.
- Speed (4/5) - Heli Skill ran just fine on my smartphones, and the pacing of the game is nice and accessible.
- Features (4/5) - It still has some of the realism that ETMGames are known for, but it's much more accessible, and has more of an arcade feel to things, it's got a great pick up and play feel to it as well.
- Theme (4/5) - The 3D graphics all look good, and the assortment of sound effects are worked in well.
- Overall (4/5) - A good, arcade style Helicopter game for Android that has some good 3D graphics and an accessible, arcade style of gameplay, Heli Skill is well worth giving a try.
- Simple control scheme that's nice and easy to get to grips with.
- Pick up and play style makes this a game that can be played whenever and wherever.
- Just as with other ETMGames, it still has a level of realism that other games just don't offer.
- Works well on smartphones and tablets, giving this universal appeal.
- Presents a really tough challenge to those not familiar with flight games.
- Not a huge range of in-app purchases, and they're fairly pricey.
Heli Skill is a game that should appeal to a lot of players out there, and while I'm sure those that have experience flight simulator games in the past will perhaps take to this better, anyone can get started with this. Mostly down to the fact that the controls are nice and easy to adapt to, but also because each level is quick and the game quickly becomes addictive.