Watch Face Collection is an Android app that brings four different watch faces to your Android Wear device, no matter if it’s round or square. It offers, for free, the material, simple, pizza and heart beat watch faces with options to purchase new watch faces from the Play Store. The Pizza watch face is good fun and great for Pizza lovers, while the Simple and Material options offer elegant digital and analog options for those looking for something simple, yet wholeseome. The Heart beat watch face basically puts a beating heart inside of your Android Wear smartwatch, which beats once every second. More watch faces are being aded all the time.
To get started, you just need to download Watch Face Collection from the Play Store. When you open the app, you’ll see the selection of watch faces in the app.
As you can see, the Pizza, Heartbeat and Simple Faces are all available here as well as my new favourite the Vinyl watch face. Some of the watch faces are paid for, and as they’re all listed in the Play Store, it’s nice to see that there’s an icon that shows whether or not they’re available in the store and a shopping cart next to those that need to be paid for, it’s a small, yet nice touch.
To set them you need to either change them on your watch, or through the Android Wear app.
See the Vinyl watch face is listed above, and here’s how it looks on my wrist:
Both the Simple and Heart Beat watch faces look good as well:
Some of the Watch Faces have settings that you can adjust as well, like the Material Watch Face:
Some of the watch faces included in the app are paid, but there’s no need to worry as the transactions and listing is held in the Play Store, so you know that you’re paying for something safely and securely.
Another feature is that Watch Face Collection will tell you when new watch faces are available, too.
Watch Face Collection is an app that does exactly what it says it does, however it does feel a little disjointed. Rather than there being one central watch face that you apply on the watch and then change using the app itself, similar to Facer and WatchMaker, all the watch faces are installed as normal. The same goes for new watch faces, rather than pay for them through an in-app purchase and apply them through one watch face, like Facer or others, you need to purchase the watch face from the Play Store. Overall, it feels like the Android app . Having said that, all the different faces on offer do look good and it takes no time at all to get them up and running on your Android Wear watch, so there’s not too much to worry about here.
- Speed (4/5) – Watch Face Collection runs nice and smoothly, and there are no hiccups where performance is concerned.
- Theme (5/5) – The watch faces here might not be to everyone’s taste but they look good and have a lot of detail in them, the Simple and Material watch faces in particular are elegant and good-looking.
- Features (3.5/5) – It would be better to be able to set one watch face and use the app to change them, but the app is clear that the other faces are available in the Play Store, and there are no surprises.
- Overall (4/5) – There are some good watch faces on offer here, and it all looks good, the fact that they’re listed in the Play Store is noted within the app, and it’s nice and easy to download and apply new faces.
- No hoops to jump through or anything like that, you just need to go ahead and get started.
- Offers a lot of watch faces for free, more than a lot of other developers do.
- Material Watch Face has a lot of different settings for people to easily tweak to get something they like.
- Everything goes through the Play Store, which makes this accessible for all users on Android.
- The Watch Face Collection app doesn’t seem to do much aside from list or advertise that these watch faces are available on the Play Store, although everything is clearly laid out.
- One single watch face with different options, like others, would make this whole operation a lot cleaner.
On the whole, Watch Face Collection has a lot going for it, but there needs to be a clean up of sorts. On the one hand, it’s good that the developers use the Play Store and the Android Wear app, but on the other it would make more sense for one central watch face and then multiple options, but the app does have a lot to offer for those looking for something different.