izi.TRAVEL is an Android app that aims to bring the world closer to you, and help you learn more about the places that you visit all over the world. It does this by bringing audio guides and trip maps from all over the internet into one, gorgeous app that uses Google Maps for the best experience possible. With many of the thousands of guides available for free, izi.TRAVEL has something for everyone in England, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Venice and many, many other locations. Let’s see what and where izi.TRAVEL has to offer as we go deeper.
Just as with other apps on Android, you need to download the izi.TRAVEL travel app from the Play Store. Then, you can start browsing for an audio guide that’s relevant to you.
There’s an Editor’s Choice section that offers users a look at some heavily curated guides which should be some of the best out there.
Sadly, I’m not heading anywhere on holiday in the near future, but I did get the chance to go to Venice a few years ago. So, I decided to take a look at guides for Venice.
I chose a guide from MP3CityGuides, and took a look at what it offers.
As this is a free guide, I’m able to just get started and listen to it without having to do anything else. I can also take a look at the map and see where the different sections of the guide are relevant as I make my way around Venice.
I went to Venice about five years ago now, and a lot has changed. Not only did I get lost in Venice more than once, but my girlfriend and I had our heads buried in a tourist guide, and we still missed anything of real Venetian charm. With this however, I can be guided around Venice and listen to authoritative speaking about my surroundings and just put my phone in my pocket. I can bring it out again to make sure I’m on the right path, but otherwise I can get the information I want, while also taking it all in at a pace that suits me, not an expensive tour guide.
You don’t always have to plan ahead with izi.TRAVEL either, as you can simply use the around me feature and it’ll hook into your GPS to figure out what guides might be relevant to you and the attractions where you are. I’m a little out of it here in England, but I was surprised to see an eclectic mix of things on offer.
Each of the audio guide providers at work in izi.TRAVEL has their own sort of landing page as well, so if you like a particular author or style of doing things, then you can go ahead and see what else that provider has to offer you.
izi.TRAVEL is a great way of making the most of your trips and holidays, on your terms. There’s not much that izi.TRAVEL actually does that’s new or original, audio guides have been around for years, as have tour guide apps using Google Maps. But what izi.TRAVEL does, is bring everything into one app, one that offers a consistent experience across all the different providers that offer audio guides, as well as all of the different locations that are easily sorted and a universal search bar to make them easy to find. Overall, there’s a lot on offer here, and with Google Maps integration, izi.TRAVEL allows you to enjoy your destinations in your own time and space, and that, for a lot of travelers is bliss.
- Speed (4/5) – Everything runs nice and smoothly here, there’s no slowdown or anything like that.
- Features (5/5) – This doesn’t do anything new, that much is clear, but bringing them all together in one single app that does it all is pretty great, and it’s super-easy to use, as well.
- Theme (4/5) – Everything on offer in izi.TRAVEL looks good, and there’s no fumbling around the UI as it all works quite nicely.
- Overall (4/5) – A solid app that brings pre-existing content together in an app that anyone can use and get to grips with while making your trips even more special on your terms.
- Lots of different audioguides from all sorts of trusted providers all over the internet.
- Works brilliantly on tablets as well as phones.
- Use of Google Maps makes it super-easy to keep up with your guide.
- GPS makes it nice and easy to see what gudies are available near you.
- Android Wear extension would make putting the phone away and listening easier without getting lost.
- Some way to theme the app with country themes would be an extra nice touch.
izi.TRAVEL is the sort of app that everyone should try out when they’re vacationing somewhere with lots of history and rich attractions to enjoy. It allows you to get super-involved or just put the phone away and listen as you follow the route. Bringing all of this together is great, and it’s very, very easy to use indeed.