Latest Android Figures Show Lollipop On 12.4% Of Devices

Every month, roughly about this time of the month, the latest figures roll in from various analysts highlighting the state of the android world in general. These typically begin with the data from Google themselves detailing how the android operating system distribution is currently breaking down. As it is that time of the month, the latest figures are now available. Last month's figures in particular, were of interest as they saw Android 5.0 (Lollipop) edging extremely close to the 10 percent market. Of course, this was broken down over both Android 5.0 and Android 5.1 and together they just fell short of the 10 percent margin coming in collectively at 9.7%.

Well, a month on and it would certainly be expected that Lollipop has continued to grow in its market share and that is exactly what is now being seen. According to the figures (source link below), Android Lollipop (5.0) now accounts for 11.6 percent of devices. For those interested, Android 5.1 now accounts for 0.8 percent. This means the percentage for the devices running on Lollipop overall (5.0 and higher) comes in at 12.4 percent. With devices increasingly being bumped up to Lollipop it would be expected that Android 4.4 (KitKat) would have declined in the last thirty days and the figures do confirm this, with the current percentage dropping down to 39.2 percent (down from 39.8 percent).

Elsewhere in the operating system hierarchy, Jelly Bean's (4.1.x) figures came in at a collective 37.4 percent, while Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3-0.4) saw a slight decline moving down from last month's 5.3 percent to the current 5.1 percent, Gingerbread (2.3.3 - 2.3.7) also saw a very slight decrease moving down from 5.7 percent to the now 5.6 percent level, while Froyo (2.2) maintained its 0.3 percent level from last month. So overall, it seems Lollipop is continuing its climb upwards. Although, it is worth noting that this month's figures do not show as big of a climb as what was seen last month. In the previous month's figures, Lollipop had increased from 5.4 in April up to 9.7 percent, which resulted in a close to doubling of the platform. This month, it was never likely that Lollipop would effectively double again, however, the current figures suggest the climb from month to month was at 2.7 percent. For clarification and in line with what is always seen wth the android distribution figures each month, this data is taken over a seven-day period. On this occasion, this was the seven-day period leading up to June 1st.



Copyright ©2019 Android Headlines. All Rights Reserved
This post may contain affiliate links. See our privacy policy for more information.
You May Like These
More Like This:
About the Author
2014/05/John.jpg

John Anon

Editor-in-Chief
John has been writing about and reviewing tech products since 2014 after making the transition from writing about and reviewing airlines. With a background in Psychology, John has a particular interest in the science and future of the industry. Besides adopting the Managing Editor role at AH John also covers much of the news surrounding audio and visual tech, including cord-cutting, the state of Pay-TV, and Android TV. Contact him at [email protected]