VyprVPN is an Android app and service that offers a free VPN service on all your devices, not just your Android smartphone or tablet. It offers 500MB for free, with competitively priced plans for unlimited data and more. VyprVPN not only keeps your data encrypted, but with services like Cyphr, Dump Truck Cloud storage, VyprDNS, and Chameleon (Golden Frog’s own encryption method that uses 256-bit SSL that keeps things secure without hurting speed), there’s a lot on offer here. VyprVPN is provided by Golden Frog, a well-established and recognized brand in providing online solutions and VyprVPN is one of their most popular products. Read on as we take a closer look at the service.
As we’re reviewing the Android app of VyprVPN here, you’ll need to download VyprVPN from the Google Play Store before we get started. When you load it up, you’ll be introduced to some key features of the service, like the fact that it has apps available on every platform under the sun, practically.
You’ll then need to sign up for an account, or just log in if you’ve used it on your PC or Mac before. Signing up is both free and fairly easy to do.
Once you have an account setup, you’ll see your current IP address and information, before turning on the VPN.
When you connect, you’ll have to agree to the terms and conditions, but you’ll be happy to know that no third-party servers are involved here at all, they are all hosted by Golden Frog.
Then you’ll notice a different display where everything is dark and you are told how long you’ve been connected for.
I spent some time using VyprVPN to browse the web, I watched a couple of YouTube videos and I didn’t really see much in the way of affected speeds, nor did I see the 500MB limit be taken up at all, really.
You can pay for more of course, and the plans are fairly competitive, especially when you consider that you get a firewall and your choice of protocols, including their own Chameleon protocol, too. No VPN app would be complete without some settings you can tweak, and there’s a good array of them here.
To test my theory of whether or not VyprVPN was slowing me down a little, I used nPerf (a very reputable speedtest app that does more than just download speeds) and the two tests below show that things were slower while running the VPN. The test listed below was run using VyprVPN and the test shown above was run without VyprVPN.
As you can see there was a change when it came to how fast my network was running, but this is much better than what I have seen with other, similar services. In use, this is a very snappy VPN that feels like you’re not even using one, but sending all that traffic to a different endpoint is always going to have an effect on things.
- Speed (5/5) – I’m giving this 5 here because this was one of the fastest VPNs I’ve used in quite some time, in fact in use I forgot it was even running in the background.
- Theme (4/5) – The app is put together with a high level of polish and Golden Frog have done a good job at making VyprVPN nice and easy to use without dumbing the features down.
- Features (5/5) – With many different protocols on offer, an easy to use interface and some competitive pricing, this is one hell of a VPN option.
- Overall (5/5) – Golden Frog’s VPN option here is one of the best available, and I have to say that I would be more than happy to use this while traveling in my personal life.
- Super-easy to get up and running without jumping through hoops.
- Lots of different protocols to choose from to make sure that your information stays secure online, including an excellent custom one from Golden Frog themselves.
- Very quick VPN, one of the smoothest that I’ve used in quite some time.
- Polished product through and through, this is something I would trust for my personal banking and so on.
- Better guidance on what the different protocols mean for users would be great.
All-in-all, VyprVPN is one of the better VPN solutions for Android, or VPN solutions period that I’ve used in quite some time. It’s well polished, smooth and speedy. The different protocols on offer give you peace of mind that your data is secure and the app is rock solid. Not to mention that if you pay for premium subscription you can use it on any platform you want with dedicated apps for everything. It’s very good value for money.