Unique Widgets is an Android app that offers complete flexibility over the look and feel of widgets on your homescreen. With many varying sizes and configurations, Unique Widgets can be used to display the time, weather, battery life and more. It can even be used to display different time zones and those looking for granular customization will love the color choices. There's a theme store that adds around 50 new clocks and weather themes each month to download for free along with an easy-to-use configuration app. For those that enjoy widgets, yet can't stand downloading different widgets for different things, Unique Widgets does it all with hundreds and hundreds of different styles. Let's take a closer look.
As with all other Android apps, you'll need to download Unique Widgets, which is currently on offer until May. When you launch the app, you'll be introduced to what Unique Widgets has to offer.
Here, I'm testing Unique Widgets on my Nexus 9, but the app works just fine on smartphones of course. When adding a widget, just do so using your launcher; you'll see a lot of different sizes to choose from.
When you choose a size of widget and configuration, you can go ahead and choose from a number of different options, and as you can see it's really easy to go from one choice to the next.
I was happy with the preset colors on hand, but if you're not so pleased by them you can always go ahead and create your own mix.
You can use this to choose from a variety of colors, or create your own shade, too.
I also spent some time in the theme store looking for some fresh designs.
Those looking for something a little more classical will enjoy the selection of analog clocks, as well:
After a little time I had created a great time and weather widget for my Nexus 9.
On my phone however, I went for something different, and decided to show off the transparent options here.
Of course, I'm just looking for a large widget, there are over 60 different sizes available for you to play around with.
We mustn't also forget that while many widget apps offer the weather, they leave you to use a different dedicated weather app, that's not the case with Unique Widgets, as it offers its own weather app, too.
I've spent a lot of time with widget apps over the years, after all I've been using Android since the dark days of Android 2.1. Back then, widgets were all the rage, and a handful of apps stood out as offering the best available. Now though, things are a little more crowded when it comes to widget apps. There are more apps available than ever before that offer quality widgets with lots of options. This latest version of Unique Widgets, with its excellent overall look and feel manages to stand out from a very packed crowd of similar apps. It's simple and easy to configure, there are a ton of options and different themes on offer and this Material Design fits in with the latest versions of Android Lollipop and downloading new themes in this is the easiest I've ever found it on an app of this nature. With so much on offer, it's hard to describe really, but if you're looking for something that has lots of granular yet accessible options then Unique Widgets is definitely worth trying out.
- Speed (4/5) – Nothing about this app feels slow and setting up your ideal widget takes hardly any time at all.
- Features (5/5) – With so many options on offer, a simple and easy to use app to configure widgets, a new selection of themes to download each month and many different widget sizes on offer there's so much to enjoy here.
- Theme (4/5) – The Material Design of the app and the widgets matches the new version of Android and looks very modern overall.
- Overall (4.5/5) – An excellent widget app, Unique Widgets has a lot on offer, and won't disappoint those looking for some serious customization.
- Easy-to-use configuration app offers easy choices, but also offers more granular choices for those interested.
- Lots of free themes to download from the store which is also extremely easy to navigate and use.
- So many sizes to choose from that there's a use case and a place for a Unique Widget on every device and style of homescreen.
- Acts as a dedicated weather app as well, giving the app one more use case.
- Larger sizes for tablets would be nice.
- Some way to clean up the amount of widgets in the launcher drawer would be nice.
Unique Widgets is an excellent selection, well, a massive selection of excellent widgets that look good and are infinitely customizable. How one sets up a new widget is also very intuitive as well as simple. The granular options are there for those who want them, but it's quick and easy to get a nice widget set up for whatever it is you need; a world clock, weather, a combination widget, battery, time – you name it. It's on offer right now to celebrate this massive new release, and is definitely worth checking out. Unique Widgets is always being updated, and I hear that there's a big update coming this weekend, so be sure to keep an eye on their Google+ page.