TV24 is an Android app that offers up listings for every single channel available in the United States. This makes TV24 your companion when checking when your favorite show is on, looking for something to watch or just trying to pick a new movie to watch. You can use TV24 with any cable provider in the US, making it easy to filter out channels that maybe your provider doesn't have or your package doesn't include. There are further ways to tweak things, and you can even create an account to back up your alerts and favorite shows across different devices. As one of the most popular TV listings apps in the US, there has to be something to TV24, so read on to find out what we thought of it.
As with any other Android app, you can find TV24 on the Google Play Store. Once you download it to your smartphone, you'll need to either find your address using GPS or just enter a ZIP code.
For the sake of testing out the app, I just used 90210, which was a good idea as there's a lot of services around here. You can choose your provider from the list to get an accurate look at what's on TV for you, not just for the general area.
There's a quick access menu from the side that can show you specific categories of shows as well as movies.
Of course, you can also just see what's on right now, as well as easily find out what's on later or by touching another week day to plan ahead.
Finding out when a specific show is on couldn't be easier. For instance, one of my favorite shows right now is the Blacklist. I can just search for this using the inbuilt search feature.
This will show me when The Blacklist is on next.
You can set an alert for any program or movie so that you don't miss the start of your weekly sports game or hat one-off special.
Speaking of Movies, movie buffs will have lots to enjoy about TV24 as it makes it super-easy to find a good film.
A nice touch is the ability to read up more about a particular film or program and even head to imdb for more info.
I've tried out a lot of different TV listing apps over the years, but none of them have been that exciting, because the majority of them just tell you what's on, they're not that helpful. TV24 goes beyond just cleaning up schedules for you, it's very intuitive, and makes it easy to find out how long a program has already been on for thanks to subtle purple lines, it's easy to filter shows using just enough categories and the alert feature is a great addition. With ratings for films from imdb, and good descriptions, TV24 helps choosing what's worth spending time watching and what isn't. One thing I didn't like was the amount of ads that are present in TV24, especially those that take up the fullscreen and I need to quit out of, but then again everyone needs to make money somehow, right?
- Speed (4/5) - TV24 is nice and quick, and there's no need to spend time waiting for a list or whatever to appear.
- Features (4/5) - There's something really satisfying about being able to basically tell the future when it comes to what's on TV, and TV24 has all the right boxes ticked to make planning your evenings and weekends so much easier.
- Theme (4/5) - The app is nice and easy to use, and there's never anything that isn't straightforward to interact with and it's easy on the eye, too.
- Overall (4/5) - A quality and comprehensive TV listings app, TV24 has all the bases covered for whatever you want to find out.
- Easily split into straightforward categories that aren't too narrow or too broad.
- Easy to see how close something is towards the end of its run through the "What's On" view.
- Great app for movie buffs thanks to the imdb interaction and descriptions.
- Alerts, the ability to follow and more make it harder than ever to miss your favorite program.
- Less intrusive ads would be nice to clean things up.
- Better use of displays on tablets would make this a great app to keep around in the living room.
Overall, TV24 has a lot to offer, and there's no reason the majority of keen TV watchers wouldn't find something good on offer here. With no need to spend time programming in your channels or looking things up, TV24 only shows the channels you have access to, and you can follow your favorite shows to make sure you don't miss a thing. It's free to use as well, and while this does mean that you have to deal with ads, it's better than having a tatty magazine lying around, and it does a great job of remembering your channel listings and more.