Tesla Wars II is an Android game that takes Tower Defense to the next level. As the name suggests, Tesla Wars II is based around the terrifying power of super-high voltage electricity. Your main defense is the Tesla Tower, which you control in real-time, giving you a 360-degree attack angle on the stickmen-like enemies that want to tear your tower down. You can add a number of other turrets to provide conventional support and there are 80 unique levels and 3 difficulty levels, totalling 240 playable levels. There are 6 different types of turrets as well as 13 special attacks that help you take on multiple enemies quickly. Tesla Wars II is a game that wants to make Tower Defense games exciting again. Read on to see if the developers have succeeded.
To play the game for yourself, you'll first need to download Tesla Wars II from the Play Store. After that, you're ready to get started.
When you first start playing the game, you'll be introduced to how Tesla Wars II is played. In a refreshing move, you can turn these tips off whenever you like. This is something I really liked, as I have been through far too many longwinded tutorials over the years.
You touch anywhere on the map to direct terrifying lightning at the enemies, and the effects are really cool to watch, especially if you're a big sci-fi fan. The below screenshot gives you an idea what the effects look like:
For each enemy you beat back, and certain missions you complete for each level, you're given money for. This money is then totalled at the end of each level and presented to you as a sort of progress report.
There is a certain amount of maintenance that you need to do in order to keep your tower and at their best. This is where a lot of your money will be spent, but it's necessary in order to keep your defenses strong.
Large amounts of your money will go towards adding more turrets to your setup. There are six different turrets to choose from, and each of them has their own unique features, like the Typhoon shown below.
When you first start out the game doesn't throw too much your way, but after a while, you'll have an upgraded tower, more destructive power and some cool new turrets to defeat your enemies with.
I don't want to spoil the fun for you, but there are some excellent special powers that you'll be able to use throughout your journey, and here's a sneak peak at them:
Spending time playing Tesla Wars II I realized that Tower Defense games could be exciting and engaging. I dislike games where you set everything up and just watch the battle play out. but thankfully Tesla Wars II is not a game like that. Instead, you control your main weapon and help build up a more powerful defense system around that. There's a lot of scale here as well, with the different turret types and all those special attacks to master, it adds up to a lot of content. The look and feel of the game is good too, the lightning effects are great fun and everything looks fresh with a decent framerate throughout. When you get into the later levels, there's a big challenge waiting for even the most experienced Tower Defense players and the whole game is challenging and rewarding.
- Speed (4/5) – Tesla Wars II ran quickly on my devices and the pacing of the game is steady, yet quickly becomes more interesting for those new to the game.
- Theme (4/5) – The lightning effects and gory deaths are good fun here, and all of the animations and weapons are well-detailed as well.
- Features (4/5) – With 240 or so different levels, Tesla Wars II has a lot to offer, and there lots of weapons and special attacks to master along your way.
- Overall (4/5) – A solid and fresh Tower Defense game that's good fun for those that have played similar games a number of times before or those looking to get started in the genre. No matter how experienced you are, Tesla Wars II is a fun and fresh experience.
- Tesla Wars II is easy to get to grips with and the tutorial is quick and painless.
- Good-looking graphics and animations make this a fun game for those looking for something fresh.
- Tower Defense fans will enjoy the real-time element of the Tesla tower and those that don't want to sit back and watch will love controlling attacks in real-time.
- Lots of turrets and special attacks help Tesla Wars II stay fresh as you make your way through all of the different levels (of which there are 80 at 3 difficulty levels, totalling 240).
- Might not be for those that don't like Tower Defense games in general.
- Can take a little longer than many would like in order for things to really get going.
Tesla Wars II is a fun game, there's a lot on offer and it's something I can see both new and experienced players enjoying. Tower Defense games like these often look appealing to the majority of players, but the boring prospect of simply watching everything happen quickly turns people off. With Tesla Wars II, that's not a problem as the game is fully interactive and it really puts you are at the heart of the action. With a total of 240 levels, lots of upgrades for the main tower and many other turrets to bolster your defense, there's more than enough here to keep players entertained.