Balloon Hero - Valentine is an arcade style game for Android that tasks players with popping floating balloons. However, it's not as simple as that, as to be successful, players must organize the balloons by color and pop them in sequence in order to reach the required score. There are two game modes included in Balloon Hero; Quest and Eternal. The Quest mode sees players heading from one level to the next where things get gradually more and more difficult. In the Eternal mode, players must not let any balloons float past the playing area, otherwise it's game over, this is essentially an endless gameplay mode. In Balloon Hero, players must pop the heart-shaped balloons in order to fulfill the level's score requirement, and it can be quite a tricky game when you first get started. Take a look at the trailer below and read on for more.
In order to play the game for yourself, you'll need to download Balloon Hero - Valentine from the Play Store or from the Amazon Appstore. Once you have, you can go ahead and get started. It's worth mentioning that this is a game available in the following languages; English, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Turkish and Ukrainian.
As noted above, you can either choose from the Quest or Eternal game modes, the Quest mode is the better choice for beginners I'd say.
The game gives you a pretty short and sweet example on how to play, and really there's not much to it.
When you start playing, you will see balloons floating up towards the top of the playing area. The aim is to just pop them, each time you pop a balloon you're given some points towards the target in the top-right corner of the display. However, the Heart meter shows you how many more balloons you have coming up. You can't simply pop them, otherwise you won't make enough points to complete the level.
The aim of the game is to organize these Balloons - which make funny noises and faces which is a nice touch - by their colors. That way, you can easily pop these balloons in sequence and get multiplier combos to improve your score.
If you follow this gameplay method, then it shouldn't be too difficult to meet the score requirement for each level.
The Eternal mode works in a similar fashion, but if you let a balloon float off into the sky, then you'll come to the end of your game.
There are special balloons that can help you as you continue to play however, not all of them can be trusted. The Devil Heart for instance will simple explode when touched, while the Match Maker will change the color of balloons essentially making it easier for you to achieve a combo. There are two ways these balloons appear, either randomly as you play through the game or by using gems that you've accumulated through your play time.
Gems are how you get your hands on these special balloons whenever you want, however as you progress further into the levels they will appear randomly without notice, the same is true the higher you score while playing in Eternal mode. You accumulate gems as you continue to play, and when in a game, you can cash in your gems to bring these special balloons out of hiding whenever you feel like you need them. If you don't have any gems, don't worry, they will appear randomly in later levels and the higher you score in Eternal mode. You can see in the shot below I've added a special or two from the menu on the right, it's pretty easy to do, really.
I had some good fun with Balloon Hero, but I'm pretty sure that younger players will find the game more entertaining than I would. That's a result of the good-looking balloons and the funny sound effects, but I look past that to see a fun and engaging game that actually needed some strategy to be successful. You can't just haphazardly pop balloons and instead you need to make sure that you group them together by color and quickly pop them in order to gain combos. Dragging the balloons around is good fun once you get used to the mechanic and when playing with a stylus I found a game that was a lot of fun, and it's not too easy a game either, it can be a good challenge for players of all ages.
- Speed (4/5) - Balloon Hero runs nice and quickly, and there's no time limit on the levels, allowing players to bide their time to create serious combos.
- Features (4/5) - On the face of it, Balloon Hero looks like yet another kids game, but that's not the case. It can be a challenging and fun game that offers players a strategic outlet that's not too difficult, but not too easy.
- Theme (4/5) - The colorful balloons and funny faces might appeal more to the kids, but the whole game is easy on the eye and while it's nothing eye-popping, this has a fun look and feel to it.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid and entertaining game that has strategic elements that all ages will be able to enjoy, Balloon Hero is good fun and I can see it only getting better as players progress through the levels and challenge themselves further.
- Easy to play, with a fun gameplay mechanic that is a lot of fun with a stylus.
- Fun sound effects and sill faces will make this an engaging game for kids and younger players.
- Not too easy a game, but not too difficult either. There's just the right amount of a challenge here to appeal to all abilities.
- Good fun with a stylus, it was how I enjoyed playing the game, but it works well with your fingers, of course.
- Might be a little too colorful for some more experienced players.
- Extra game modes would spice things up for those that have been playing the game for quite some time.
All-in-all, I had a good time with Balloon Hero, and while I'm sure it's not a game for everyone, I can see a lot of younger players and such having a lot of fun here. It's got just enough of a challenge and just enough strategy to make this an addictive arcade game and it's engaging enough to give kids a little mental exercise. A free game that keeps ads mostly under control, there's very little to complain about here, and it could be the next arcade puzzler you've been looking for. It's available at Google Play following the link below and the Amazon Appstore here.