Automatic Silence Phone is an Android app that, as you might imagine, automatically puts your phone into silent mode - or other modes - when certain criteria are met. You can create as many different profiles as you like, based predominantly on location, but there are other criteria that you can outline like charging state and which WiFi network you are connected to. It's a great concept and those that don't want a loud device at night when at home, but do need it loud when their travelling or on holiday will enjoy the set and forget nature of creating different profiles for different occasions. Let's take a closer look at what Automatic Silence has to offer.
To see what the app can do for you, you'll need to download it from the Play Store. Once you have it downloaded, you'll see a blank page, as you need to fill this in with your profiles.
Adding a profile is nice and easy, all you need to do is to hit the plus icon and then choose a location nearby or search for an exact address. By default, Automatic Silence Phone will find out where you are at that moment and use that location, however as mentioned above you can search for whichever location you want.
Beyond location, you can choose things like charging state, which WiFi network your device needs to be connected to and more. For instance, this is a profile I've set up while at home and overnight. My phone will go into silent mode at night when I'm at home overnight and then turn back on in the morning. This process will of course repeat itself every day, but you can choose which days this applies to from these menus as well.
You can add a number of different profiles to the main list and easily toggle them on or off by using the tick to the side of them.
Automatic Silence Phone is an extremely versatile tool, and it's one of those tools that does not stand in your way one bit. Could there be more options? Well, I'm sure some would say so, but all the boxes are ticked here. You can choose different days, different times of day, different locations, WiFi networks and even whether or not your phone is charging. This gives you a lot of flexibility, you can also turn on or off certain profiles. This enables you to create all sorts of different profiles. I have one for every day of the week to keep my phone quiet in the evenings for instance, but another for just Monday evenings to make sure my phone is 100% silent a little earlier than normal when we're having a staff meeting. It's easy to use, good-looking thanks to the slick Material Design theme and it costs very little when you think that there are no ads and the app just works.
- Speed (4/5) - Automatic Silence Phone runs nice and smoothly, with no issues when it comes to performance.
- Features (4/5) - This might not be a revolutionary idea, but the execution here is excellent. There's mostly every option you could want, easily digested and the whole app is a breeze to use.
- Theme (4/5) - There's Material Design at work here and it really shines. It's subtle, looks good on any modern Android smartphone and is a very calming app overall.
- Overall (4/5) - Automatic Silence Phone is a solid app that serves a neat and useful purpose and does so without any unnecessary bells and whistles that might get in the way.
- Lots of criteria to choose from when creating a profile, but everything is still easily managed.
- You can create as many profiles as you like and easily toggle them on or off.
- No need to spend hours and hours fiddling with settings as everything is nice and straightforward.
- Good-looking Material Design theme will blend in with the latest Android smartphones and it looks great, too.
- Ability to name profiles like "Evening", "Meeting", "Work" and so on would be a nice touch.
- Searching for locations is fine, but if we could name them like "Work" and so on to make creating new profiles quicker that would be helpful.
Automatic Silence Phone might not be built around a new idea, but the execution is what matters here. It's simple, easy to use and it's good-looking, too. A lot of these apps often feel utilitarian and boring, but this isn't the case with Automatic Silence Phone. Instead, this is an app that works well and doesn't need much time to get to grips with. A neat little timesaver that doesn't cost much, doesn't bother you with ads and offers a lot of different options to change and play around with.