Zombies on a Plane is perhaps not what you think it is. It's a room escape game that takes place on a plane that has somehow been overrun by Zombies, thanks to a scientist on the run from the CIA who has set off a contaminated solution onboard. You quickly become the only one left and it's up to you to contain this Zombie outbreak and make sure that the plane lands safely. To do this, you need to find objects to help you get through the plane, defeat Zombies in your path and make sure that no more Zombies will be produced as a result of the scientist's mistake. It's a game filled with good-looking setpieces and a focus on needing to use nearby items to get through the puzzles and overcome the Zombies.
To get started with Zombies on a Plane, you just need to download the game from the Play Store. Then you're ready to get started.
There are a number of levels, each representing a separate part of the plane, but you'll need to unlock them in sequence to play through anything.
There's no introduction or anything like that, instead you're just thrown into the game and asked to make your own way. To some, this will be annoying, but to others this will help build an atmosphere.
After a little while though, you start to figure things out and you'll get the lights turn on to help you see where you're going.
Much like other room escape games, the idea is to take a look around and explore. You'll not get far without experimenting, and one of the main focuses of Zombies on a Plane is the need to experiment with items you find around the Plane. Like the fishing rod to help me get the keys from underneath the racking.
There are also puzzles to solve as well, like the code to the safe which has key items to keep moving forward with.
At the end of the first level, you come in contact with a Zombie looking to eat any remaining passengers. This part is animated and for some it could be a little scary.
Once you've dealt with this Zombie, you need to get the key around her neck. Everything has a process to it that keeps you moving forward into the plane.
After this, you'll progress into the first cabin of the plane and you'll need to go ahead and find more items to help you on your journey through the plane.
This is just a taste of what the game has to offer, it's a free download to see if this is your next room escape game.
Overall, I found Zombies on a Plane to be lacking in a few areas, but once I got into the swing of things, it wasn't too difficult to enjoy the game. Finding and using items to unlock cases, fix broken parts of the plane and such was really good fun and I can definitely see why room escape fans will find this a nice mix of horror and detective games. The ads however, are a big sore point. Developers need to make money, absolutely, but here they need to be worked in better. The ad at the bottom is fine, but it sort of squashes the rest of the game upwards, making it very strange to use on my Nexus 9 and the fullscreen ad that appears once every minute or so is very annoying. However, the game is free and for a free game there's a lot of decent sound effects and good-looking objects and scenes to work your way through.
- Speed (4/5) - The game runs okay and the pacing is pretty good as well, you can take it as quickly or as slowly as you'd like.
- Theme (4/5) - Zombies on a Plane has some great-looking graphics and the sound effects really help add some atmosphere as well.
- Features (4/5) - As room escape games go, there's a lot on offer here, and for many this will be a nice blend of genres.
- Overall (4/5) - Despite some issues with the ads and layout of them, this is a good game and Zombie fans will certainly enjoy it. So too, will those that enjoy hidden object and room escape games. For a free download, this is a decent offering for Zombie fans everywhere.
- Good-looking 3D graphics make Zombies on a Plane a joy to look at, especially for Zombie lovers.
- Sound effects are very well done and give the game some decent atmosphere, giving the game 'bite'.
- Controls are very simple, just tap where you want to go and then choose your item from a simple inventory.
- Use of items gives the keep a complex, yet fairly easy to understand gameplay structure.
- Ads are very poorly implemented and do get in the way quite a bit.
- While good-looking, HD assets would be nice to see on devices with 1080p or above resolutions.
All-in-all, Zombies on a Plane is a game built for Zombie lovers that room escape fans will take to as well. It's got good-looking scenes and 3D graphics as well as some very good sound effects that help to give everything a nice atmosphere to it. It's not too difficult, but the use of items for different things and the various things you need to do in each area do make this a good challenge.