Catch Color for Android is a simple arcade game based around how good your reflexes are. You need to tap either on the right or left side of the display to send colored squares to their corresponding column. It’s easier said than done though, as the longer you play, the more you’ll come across different squares that mess with the base formula and generally make things more difficult as you progress. There’s not much to Catch Color on the face of things, but this is a game that’s all about its gameplay, rather than fancy graphics or anything like that. Read on to see what we thought of it.
You’ll first need to download Catch Color from the Play Store in order to play for yourself. But it’s a really quick download, thankfully.
You can choose from a handful of different game modes, and depending on which one you go for, you’ll be given an introduction into the game actually plays out.
It seems pretty simple, but there are modifiers that you need to think long and hard about if you want to keep your game going and perhaps log a new high score.
When playing the arcade game, the aim is to score as many points as possible. This start off easy, but soon gets a lot harder as you have to juggle more modifiers as well as an increase in the amount of squares you need to deal with.
The other modes, like Rush and and Classic are both pretty good. The Classic mode is for those that don’t want all the fancy addons and such, while the Rush mode creates short, intensive sessions of activity every so often, with a clock that continues to count down in the corner. At the end of your run, you’re given a score and a look at how well you’ve done.
That’s all there is to the game really, but it’s a lot more fun in person, and these screenshots don’t really convey the games playstyle much at all.
After spending a decent amount of time with Catch Color, it’s pretty clear that there really isn’t too much going on here, but that’s not a bad thing. Thanks to the lack of fancy graphics and such, you’re free to focus on getting on with your game, which can be quite challenging at times. The gameplay is definitely simple, yet it’s addictive and even though I’ve come across this sort of game before, I did enjoy Catch Color. There are surprises here and there, like the fact that a square close to another will push its neighbor into the same bar as you were aiming for the other one to go. It’s a nifty way of keeping players on their toes and it was a welcome inclusion. All-in-all, this is an engaging and challenging game that works well no matter where you’re playing or for how long for.
- Speed (4/5) – The pacing of Catch Color is nice and the game itself runs nice and quickly.
- Features (3.5/5) – Catch Color is designed to be simple, and the gameplay helps round things out here, but some extras would be really nice, that’s for sure.
- Theme (3/5) – A lack of animation and color does help Catch Color to be easy to play, but some added polish would really be appreciated, especially if you play on spending a long time playing the game.
- Overall (3.5/5) – Despite the overly-simple nature of Catch Color, it is a fun game, and it’s something that will keep you on your toes. I do wish there were some more graphics and that sort of thing, but as it is this is a decent bit of fun.
- No need to jump through hoops to get going, just pick up and play.
- Works well for bite-sized gameplay sessions.
- Modifiers like the Tornado and Reverse square can add a new challenge to the game.
- Free to download and play, with just some ads to put up with here and there.
- While designed to be simple, Catch Color might be considered a little bare for some players.
- Some more in the way of themes or animations would help make the game more exciting.
At the end of the day, Catch Color is a simple game that doesn’t really have all that much on offer. Having said that, it’s incredibly addictive and it is genuinely a lot of fun. If you’re not interested in fancy graphics or oodles of extras, then you might really take to Catch Color as it’s a challenging game that’s just easy to pick up and play.