If you were to ask people whether or not they listen to radio these days, more than you think would reply that they do listen to the radio. However, very few of them do so through FM Radio or even digital radio, these days people just stream radio stations using the Internet and thanks to WiFi being pretty much everywhere and 3G being just fine for music streaming, many of us do so through our smartphones and tablets. Simple Radio is an Android app that understands how people listen to the radio now, and tries to make it as simple and efficient as possible. With over 25,000+ radio stations to choose from and quick streaming technology from Streema, Simple Radio is simple, yet packed with content. Simple Radio just gives you the option to search for something to listen to, save stations as favorites and then just lets you get on with it. There's no recommendations to deal with, no "we thought you might like this" and no pressure to tune into something other than your chosen station. With all that being said, let's go ahead and take a closer look at Simple Radio.
To get everything going, you just need to download Simple Radio from the Play Store or from the Streema website and then start searching for a station you want to listen to. You can search for things like genres or their station name if you'd like.
So let's say I go and search for "80s", I'll be presented with a list of stations that specialize in playing music from the 80s.
Once you choose a radio station to listen to, it starts playing nice and quickly, with very little buffering needed at my end. I was surprised by how quickly it started playing, and I'm told this is down to technology from Streema.
If you hit the note icon in the top-right corner, you'll be shown information on which song is playing, just like other radio apps.
Hit the star button, and you'll add a particular station to your favorites, making them super-easy to pull up the next time you open up the app.
Simple Radio is a refreshing approach to how people can tune in on their mobile devices. Unlike other apps, Simple Radio doesn't try to be a social network, or try to be anything other than a digital equivalent of an old radio set you might have had as a kid. It just works, you search for what you want to listen to and then start listening. There's no hassle getting in the way of what matters here and if you don't like the ads, you can pay a small fee to remove them for good, unlike other apps out there. I'm a fairly private listener, and I'm sure there are many like me out there, and I don't want suggestions pushed to me, or constantly being asked to share my music taste. I just want to tune in and listen, and that's just what Simple Radio lets me do. With wearable support being considered as well, there's a chance that Simple Radio might work well on your watch in the future as well.
- Speed (5/5) - Easily one of the fastest streaming radio apps I've come across, there's no messing around, your radio starts streaming nice and quickly.
- Features (4/5) - While not jam-packed with features, Simple Radio has more than enough of the features that you want in an app like this and it just gets out of your way when you're trying to listen.
- Theme (4/5) - A fairly good-looking app, Simple Radio uses a nice, modern Android theme that blends in well and is easy to use.
- Overall (4/5) - If you enjoy listening to the radio, but don't want to deal with all the extra silliness that comes with it these days, Simple Radio is your break from all that.
- Looks good and gets the job done with little to no fuss.
- One of the quickest radio streaming apps I've come across, little to no waiting around to get the music started.
- Nice and simple to find stations to listen to, either by genre, name or whatever else.
- If you want to, you can remove ads forever with a one-off payment.
- Some stations I liked from other apps weren't there, but I admit these were obscure.
- A link to Google Play or some other download service of songs playing would be nice to see.
At the end of the day, Simple Radio is a nice app that does exactly what it promises to do; it makes it simple to listen to the radio. The UI is nice and clean, it's easy to find a station to listen to, it's even easier to favorite these stations for later and everything loads really quickly. Thanks to the tech from Streema, Simple Radio doesn't ask you to wait for things to buffer, and all the 25,000+ stations are quick to load and they sound great, too.