Final Countdown is an Android app that as you've probably guessed, counts down - or up - to important events that are coming up in your life. It's more than just a simple timer however, as you can customize each event with different skins, backgrounds, fonts, color choices and more. These can also be transferred to your homescreen using a variety of widgets in 1x1, 2x1 and 4x1 sizes in a number of different looks. You can configure reminders as close to the event as 30 seconds or as far away as 2 days away as well as choose your own alarm tone for different events. You can see your event in years, months, days, hours, minutes, seconds and even milliseconds with the homescreen widgets going so far as to show seconds counting down. Read on to see what we thought of it.
To get started with Final Countdown, a quick download from the Play Store is needed. From there, you'll see some standard countdowns to show you what the app can do.
There are a number of options on the left-hand menu bar, like the ability to start a timer right now.
This is just a small taste of what's on offer however, and creating your own countdown is nice and simple, all you need to do is hit the plus icon in the top of the display. Then, you'll be given options like the date, to name your event and to customize it with different skins and fonts.
You can also apply a custom background from the 300+ HD backgrounds on offer within the app.
Once you're done you can take a look at how it all looks.
Four countdowns, you can also set some very useful reminders. For birthday's and such, you can set them to be a couple days before to make sure you get your card and present ready in time, but you can also set a reminded close to the time as well. You can also set a custom alarm tone as well.
With Final Countdown, you can add a number of different widgets to your homescreen and they even feature the live countdown in seconds as well.
One more feature of Final Countdown is the ability to share your countdowns with others. You just hit the share button when viewing a countdown and you can share it using Twitter, Facebook - anything really. The app sends a simple URL to your friends and family, allowing them to view the countdown online which also makes it truly cross platform.
Final Countdown is a pretty simple app, there's no denying that, but for those that want to keep track of important events coming up in their lives, Final Countdown is certainly a fun app. You can customize your countdowns and how they look as well, using many different backgrounds and fonts. As such, you can easily have a countdown for your summer holiday with a beach theme and a countdown for a loved one's birthday in a more romantic theme. There's a lot of versatility here, and if you're the type of person that likes to know how many minutes and seconds it'll be before you jet off for the sun, then Final Countdown will certainly fit the bill. It's not the most exciting app out there, but it certainly gets the job done and after all, if we didn't have things to look forward to some of us might not make it through our busy weeks.
- Speed (4/5) - Final Countdown runs quickly and the live countdown feature is a nice touch, and it even works on the widgets as well.
- Features (5/5) - Final Countdown ticks every box going for this sort of app, it has all the options you could want and it's nice and easy to use as well.
- Theme (3.5/5) - This is where things could be better, Final Countdown looks like an older Android app, and a more up-to-date theme would certainly do wonders here.
- Overall (4/5) - As a tool, Final Countdown has everything you could want in it and it's nice and easy to use. The widgets are a nice addition as well and altogether help create a great, fun app.
- Lots of different wallpapers help you create a unique feel for certain countdowns you might have.
- Different widget sizes help you put a countdown anywhere on your homescreen, and the larger ones even display the seconds.
- You can set reminders to help you stay on top of things like birthdays and holidays.
- Customization options here are really great and there are a lot of them on offer, including different fonts, skins and more.
- Theme does look an older Android app, but a Material Design theme is being worked on.
- Reminders beyond 2 days before the event would be a useful feature to get things in order for holidays and such.
Final Countdown is an app that might not appeal to everyone, but to those that enjoy counting the days and hours towards their favorite film release, an album release or waiting out the months till that summer holiday, this will be great. It might not look too appealing, but with lots of customization options available, you can create unique looks for all your different countdowns. Not only that, but you can choose from a number of widgets to keep your timers with you wherever you go, at a glance away.