The Moto Maxx is the phone that we all want here in the US. It’s an amazing smartphone. Essentially the Droid Turbo, but not exclusive to Verizon. Currently, it’s only on sale down in Latin America, but you can buy it here in the US, if you’re willing to shell out some decent cash for it. We’re going to provide you with everything you need to know to root your Moto Maxx though. From rooting it, to installing TWRP, to booting into bootloader mode and booting into recovery. All that will be right here. So let’s take a look.
Before we get started, you’re going to need to know how to boot into the bootloader and recovery:
How to boot into Bootloader Mode
- Turn off your Android device completely: press power key and choose “power off”; alternatively, you can press and hold power button for a few seconds.
- Then, press and hold power button and volume down key at the same time.
- After a few seconds the bootloader mode will be displayed.
- You can navigate towards the environment by using volume up and down buttons and you can select an option by pressing on power button.
How to boot into Recovery Mode
- Follow the instructions above to get into Bootloader mode
- Now use the volume keys to go to “Recovery”
- Select “Recovery” by pressing Power.
- That’s it.
How to root the Moto Maxx
- Download the root exploit from XDA Forums page.
- Save the file on your computer, place it on desktop, but don’t unzip the package.
- Connect your smartphone with your PC via USB cable.
- Transfer the root package from desktop on your phone’s SD card.
- Remove the USB cable when done.
- Turn off your handset and then enter recovery mode on your Motorola Moto Maxx.
- From recovery select “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the root exploit and flash the package on your device.
- When done, from main menu of recovery select “reboot system now”.
- If your Moto Maxx will get stuck in a boot loop, go back to recovery and select “wipe data factory reset” along with “wipe cache partition”.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Motorola Moto Maxx
- On your computer download the TWRP recovery file from XDA.
- Place this file on the same folder as Android SDK and don’t unzip the package.
- Then, navigate towards the Android SDK folder and from there open a command prompt window: press and hold Shift keyboard key while right clicking on any blank space.
- Connect your Moto Maxx with your computer.
- On the cmd window type the following command: “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Your device will now be rebooted into bootloader mode.
- Now, on the same cmd window type “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”.
- Wait while TWRP recovery is being installed on your Motorola Moto Maxx.
- When done, return to your cmd window and enter “fastboot reboot”.
- That’s it.