MemoLocation is an Android app that helps to remind you of things you wanted to do, points of interest or more using just the location of these places. All you do is set a location with a little note or memo, and then when you're near the location you'll be reminded of what you needed to do, who you needed to see or what you wanted to pickup. In the Pro Version, you're able to get directions to your memo using Google Maps Navigation. MemoLocation looks like a decent option for those that have had awful luck with calendar apps in the past, either know their local area really well or for those that are on the move a lot. Read on to see what we thought of it.
To start using MemoLocation, all you need to do is download it from the Play Store. What I found refreshing was that the app never once asked me for Google Calendar access or anything like that. You do everything in the app.
By default, the app finds where you are by using GPS. To add a Memo, all you need to do is to press and hold on a location (which you can search for using the bar at the top) and then input a little note. You can change the radius as well, this means that you'll either be notified closer or further away depending on the size of the radius.
Then, you can see this Memo on the map with a pin and a popup to let you know what your note was. Here, I'm marking the vicinity of my local pub, as I'll be meeting Joe for some drinks after work one day next week.
Of course, it's not just used for meeting friends for drinks, here are a few more sensible uses:
One thing I like about MemoLocation is that it's a tool, plain and simple. It fulfills a simple task, yes, but it's just a neat tool and you can use it however you want. I can see this being good for those on holiday looking to take in the sites nearby, they can just tag certain landmarks and places with memos. As well, I can see this being good for people that associate daily tasks with places. For instance, those that associate picking up items with the stores, rather than the need to pick them up.
In the settings, there are some things to change like the Map View which can show satellite images and terrain.
If you want to pay the very small fee to upgrade to the Pro Version, you do get some extras, like the ability to be navigated to a Memo Location right from the app.
You know who I think MemoLocation is going to be great for? My Father. And that is, by no means, meant to put the app down rather, my Father is of a generation that still takes notice of the local area, he spends a lot of time driving on deliveries, he doesn't keep a todo list or a Google Calendar, but he uses his phone for maps and navigation all the time. As such, a lot of what he needs to do day-to-day is associated with places, rather than the task itself. As well as people that care about maps and their local area, rather than being mindlessly directed, people on holiday or visiting family will find value here, too. Imagine being able to tag all the landmarks, good places to eat and so on in the area and be reminded the next time you drive or walk past? That's a simple, yet nice feature and for that reason, MemoLocation will be staying on my phone. It'll also help me find the car after a few hours in IKEA, too.
- Speed (4/5) - The app runs nice and smoothly, and setting up a location memo is really to the point.
- Features (4/5) - While you could say this is fairly simple, what MemoLocation is is a simple tool, that's yours to use however you see fit. It's simple, yet it could be just what some people have been looking for.
- Theme (4/5) - It looks decent, but when most of what you're showing is a Google Map there's little to complain about.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid, useful tool that might appeal more to older users than younger ones, MemoLocation is simple to use and works well.
- Doesn't need access to your Google Calendar, or any calendar, it works independently.
- Simple and straightforward, with but a few processes to go through to get a memo added.
- Good tool for users to use however they like, there's no wrong or right way, or what you should or shouldn't use it for.
- MemoLocation would be good for tourists to be reminded of restaurants and bars, landmarks that sort of thing when they're out exploring or driving around.
- For some, it might be a little too simple.
- No list of businesses when you search for a restaurant name for instance.
All-in-all, MemoLocation is what it is, it's a basic yet helpful tool. For those that work in locations, rather than tasks that require you to go to a location, MemoLocation is a nice way of never missing anything, but without the hassle of inputting tedious dates and tasks into calendars. Want to pick up a new movie that hit Blu-Ray? Just make a note by your nearest store and be reminded next when you're in town, it's that simple.