Description: Weatherback Wallpaper is an Android app that aims to bring weather effects to your homescreen without the need for a live wallpaper that could slow your device down or help your battery shrink quicker. Weatherback Wallpaper comes with a number of different effects which change depending on the time of day, whether or not it's sunny, if it's raining, if it's dusty or as the sun is going down. There are a number of reasons why this being a static affair is good, but the main one is of course that you can continue to use your favorite wallpaper and still get these nice looking effects. You can take a look at what Weatherback has to offer you by taking a look at the video below.
How it Works: You'll first need to download Weatherback Wallpaper from the Play Store before you can do anything, and then open up the app to see your current wallpaper as well as the weather.
You don't really get much control over the effects that are applied to your wallpaper, but by purchasing the Pro version you'll get access to a good amount of effects.
With the Pro version unlocked, I got a lot more effects to play around with and you can tweak a number of things in the settings, even preventing the app from using any data if you're on a tight data allowance. This is also how you go about choosing the effects applied to your wallpaper.
You can also adjust how each of the effects look on your wallpaper, too which is a nice touch.
Here's a shot of my wallpaper before the effects were applied, and I have to admit it now look a little bland.
Here's how it looks with the effects for a cold, still evening here in the UK applied to it:
There are effects for when it's cold and icy:
As well as when it's raining:
And when it's sunny, too.
I was impressed with how nice this made my homescreen feel and there's a lot more that I need to play with here, and I'll of course be playing around with a variety of different images, too.
Opinion: Weatherback Wallpaper is a fun new way of bringing the weather to your homescreen, and rather than asking you to get used to a new live wallpaper, you call the shots. you can choose which effects are applied to your own chosen wallpaper and there's no need to change the way you do things on your device, which is smart design in general. I've played around with the live wallpaper options that are out there, but they always seem to mess around with how responsive my launcher is and some of the effects just serve to drain my batter. Here though, Weatherback Wallpaper just adds a subtle effect or set of effects to your homescreen and it really does look quite nice as well. An excellent option all round, Weatherback works for you, and not the other way around.
- Speed (4/5) - Weatherback is quick and easy to get set up and the app itself had no effect on my system performance.
- Features (4/5) - An excellent way of bringing some extra flare to your homescreen without the need for a resource-hungry live wallpaper or anything like that, Weatherback has all the right boxes ticked and a lot of effects to make things look that much nicer.
- Theme (4/5) - The effects on offer here are great, and they do look good, but it would be nice to see something for wind as well as snow, which should be falling any time now around many parts of the world.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid application that can bring more to your tablet or smartphone, without draining your battery, Weatherback can bring the weather to your Android device.
- Weatherback looks good on either smartphones or tablets and doesn't effect the quality of the original image.
- Lots of effects available to jazz up your homescreen by bringing a little of the outside to your Android device.
- No need for a live wallpaper to slow things down or take battery life away from you.
- Effects can be customized and tuned to just how you like them.
- There's no effect for snow just yet, but it is coming soon.
- Ability to apply effects even if that's not the current weather would be nice, however you can randomize the effects.
Conclusion: Weatherback Wallpaper is an app that might not appeal to everyone, but it's something that would really 'click' with those that enjoy theming their devices more than they ought to. It's a great way of bringing some of the outdoors to your device and this has most of the bases covered, with the right boxes ticked, this is a fun app for those that have tried the live wallpapers and don't want to deal with the battery drain or any of the hassle associated with them. A great all-rounder, this is well worth taking a look at.