Description: Shake is a service for freelancers and those that like to take care of their own affairs by providing template contracts that are legally binding. Everything that you need in such a contract is included in Shake and you can even use Shake to sign these contracts. Shake isn't designed to be a law firm in your smartphone, instead it's designed to help people do these things by themselves. Instead of having to hire a notary or whatever to help you get a contact together for your work or services rendered, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars and put together something with Shake. Perfect for Freelancers, great for those facing a fine or something similar, Shake can help you stand on your own two feet, do things for yourself while still staying within the law. Take a look at the trailer below and keep on reading.
How it Works: To get started with Shake, you'll first need to download the app from the Play Store, and then you'll need to sign up for an account, which is really nice and easy.
It's also important to remember that you are still responsible for your actions when using Shake, Shake isn't your lawyer or anything like that, so be aware of that.
Once you've signed up, you'll see a selection of folders, which neatly organizes certain types of contracts and you can always add to them. Some of the most popular contracts are featured here, but you can always create a contract all your own just by hitting the green create button.
A popular contract that many might be looking for is an Airbnb contract, so let's focus on this example here. Right away, you can see that everything is laid out for you to fill out, and while the language is legally binding, it's all written in plain English, something that's pretty much a necessity with how restrictive legalese can be these days.
Everything is nice and easily filled in, with the keyboard changing to fit each part of the form and the items on the form are laid out in pretty much the way you would expect them to be.
I took a good look at this simple Airbnb form and it's clear that Shake understands what sort of clients they're catering to here, and while there are lots of helpful templates available - with more being added all the time - but you can always create your own from scratch. For businesses looking to bring their own forms into their Shake lineup, you can go ahead and take a look at Shake for Business, and you could save your firm a whole lot of time and money. Most importantly though, you can sign the agreement there and then (a stylus might help here) and then send it on to your client, tenant or employer.
Opinion: I'm perhaps not the type of person to get the most out of Shake, I'm in full-time employment and I don't do much of anything on the side however, Shake is pretty brilliant to keep around even if I'm unlikely to use it regularly. There a great many things that people out there want to do, but the legal red tape scares them off or holds them back. Like freelance writing or design work, it's something that many people are really good at, but the red tape might hold them back or scare them off. With Shake, you can get access to some really useful templates and sign them, making sure you're covered, without having to pay any mad fees for the privilege. It's not just about the money in my mind, as taking care of your own affairs encourages you to pay more attention, and having more control on your livelihood or legal affairs will help you feel more confident at pretty much every turn of life. By taking care of your own contracts, you're more likely to take things more seriously as well.
- Speed (4/5) - The app itself runs really quickly and you can have a form filled out - with your signature - in less than 10 minutes depending on what you're doing.
- Features (5/5) - With a slick and easy to use app, Shake not only helps you save money but it also empowers people by helping them take care of their own affairs, without any hassle or nasty legalese to translate.
- Theme (4/5) - With touches of Material Design, and a look all its own, everything with Shake looks nice, even the font choice.
- Overall (4/5) - A quality app that can really help empower people and make sure that their affairs are in order without having to pay for it or deal with tricky legalese, Shake is excellent to help people do more for themselves.
- Can genuinely help you save money, especially with fairly common agreements like tenancy and that sort of thing.
- You can sign your contracts and agreements right from within the app.
- Great for freelancers and those looking to keep on top of their affairs, without a middleman.
- Lots of templates are already available and they have all the bases covered.
- Fairly new on Android and still has a few bugs that crop here and there, but these are often fixed very quickly.
- Larger sign window would be nice, perhaps a prompt to go fullscreen landscape to make a better John Hancock?
Conclusion: An excellent option for those looking to save some money while keeping to the law, as well as those that have to deal with the courts, but don't want to spend huge amounts of money on consultation. The app has a good look and feel to it, with a unique design that's definitely its own, but that doesn't clash with Android as a whole. Contracts and agreements are easy to fill out and there's a wide variety of templates on offer with more always being added all the time, Shake can genuinely help you no matter what it is you do or what you need to get done.