Description: Peel Smart Remote is an app that essentially lives up to its title. It’s a remote control app for your Android smartphone or tablet and it can control all your devices, like your TV set, your cable box, your Blu-Ray player and more. That’s not what makes it smart though, all the data it brings together on when shows are coming on, learning from what you like to watch and making it easier than ever to tune in to something you want to watch is what makes Peel’s Smart Remote app, smart. Many of you might already have Peel’s technology inside of your Android phone if you own a Samsung or HTC device, but there’s more to this side of your smartphone than you might have realized. Let’s take a look at Peel’s key features.
How it Works: If you’re using an HTC or Samsung device from the last couple of years, then chances are you’re already using Peel technology in your device. While you might already have the Smart Remote app installed, you can download it from the Play Store if not. Peel is available for the Galaxy S4 as WatchON, the Galaxy S5 as the Smart Remote and for HTC One devices as Sense TV. Once you’ve downloaded the app and you’ve gone through the simple process of setting everything up with your TV and your other devices, you might be wondering what else you can do with it. This handy video from Peel will introduce you to some of the features.
When everything is set up, you’ll notice how easy it is to simply control your TV and your set top box and such through one interface on one device – the smartphone you probably use for everything else.
Controlling your TV and your cable box is great and all, but what makes the Peel Smart Remote so helpful is that you can search for things by name and see when they’re on and where. Then, you can just ask Peel to send your Cable Box to that channel.
As well, Peel can constantly bring you recommendations and you can browse shows like a Smart TV experience on your phone. You can even look through listings on Netflix now as well.
I really like the idea of being able to search through TV shows on my phone like I was using a Smart TV and then just ask Peel to help me “tune in” to exactly what I want to watch. This approach to TV is refreshing and something that a lot of users have been expecting for a long time now. There’s no need for a TV guide cluttering up the living room with Peel any more, as you can go ahead and see listings for everything there and then, all presented in a sharp manner.
Opinion: While I’m sure the cable boxes in the US are perhaps better than those I have in the UK, I have never found their software to be any good. With Peel’s Smart Remote however, I can search for what I want and then take myself to the channel. There’s no need for me to trawl through awkward TV guides any more, and that’s something that’s really helped me watch more of what I want, rather than hopping from channel to channel. This remote app really is nice and smart, and there’s nothing to suggest otherwise, it’s helpful, can encourage you to watch more TV and it works with a device you’re already familiar with. I won’t need to go looking for my remotes any more, they’ll be in the draw, gathering dust.
- Speed (4/5) – Easy to get set up, Peel helps you get to your programs quicker and the app runs nice and quickly, too.
- Features (5/5) – A complete solution from the people that have been fueling the tech in Samsung and HTC devices for a while now, Peel’s Smart Remote app is a wonder and something that can help you take back control of the TV.
- Theme (4/5) – Peel is a sharp-looking app and it’s got a professional feel and it looks good thanks to the high-quality artwork and channel logos.
- Overall (4/5) – A quality solution to help you take back control of your TV set, Peel’s Smart Remote app works well, I just wish it were available on more devices.
- Peel Smart Remote makes it difficult to miss your favorite shows when they’re on, as it makes real easy to tune in at the right time.
- Replaces a number of different remotes into one, simple and easy to use application on your phone.
- No need to spend time channel hopping – just search for what you want to watch.
- Helps people fall in love with TV all over again, without all the associated hassle.
- Doesn’t work with LG smartphones, sadly.
- You can’t install the app at all on devices without an infrared blaster, unlike the iPhone.
Conclusion: Peel’s Smart Remote app is an excellent example of how software and hardware can work together to make things even easier than ever before. There’s no need to trawl through clunky cable box TV guides, or find a different remote for the soundbar or sound system, everything is all in one app on the one device that you always have with you. Simple and professional, Peel’s Smart Remote App is a complete solution that you will find a nice breath of fresh air.