Description: What do you get when you draw inspiration (heavily so, it must be said) from the hit game Minecraft and then throw in all of the RPG elements that a lot of users wish there were? Well, you end up with Block Story, a game that’s designed to take all of the excellent things that Minecraft offers and bring it into the RPG world with more items, more buildings to discover and of course; Dragons. Block Story is available on the PC as well, and in the future anything that you create here on the Android version can be taken to your PC game. Block Story features a familiar Creative Mode as well a Story Mode with far more to explore and take a look at than there is in the Survival Mode of Minecraft. Considering that the game has been around since 2012, it’s no surprise that there’s a large community online that shares mods and their findings in the game. Take a look at the trailer below for a small taste.
How it Works: You’ll first need to download Block Story from the Play Store, and then you’ll be able to start the game and choose which game mode you want to play.
Starting with the Dragon that flies overhead during the menu, there’s a lot of added content here and contrary to what I first thought, this isn’t a rip-off of Minecraft in fact it’s more like a homage with all the features that a lot of you wish you had access to. I’m going to give you sneak peak at the Story Mode here and so, I’m going to go ahead and choose a name for my new world.
You’ll be welcomed to the game and for new players there’s a tutorial that’s worth checking out at first.
The first thing you’ll notice when starting to play Block Story is that there are a great number of characters mingling around, this certainly helps bring the world to life.
The tutorial will take you through collecting your first blocks:
To creating your first tool, like the familiar Pickaxe:
Crafting is a big part of what makes Block Story, Block Story and taking one look at the Recipe Book shows as much.
RPG fans will love all the tools, weapons and armor that you’ll be able to craft and collect throughout Block Story.
This is just a glimpse at what Block Story has to offer though, and there’s far, far much more to Block Story than what I’m sharing here. The idea is to get out there, explore the world, and come across Dragons while building your own castles and fortresses!
Opinion: What I love about Block Story is that it takes a game I love very much and plays with it. This is definitely a game that feels like it’s more of a homage to Minecraft than anything else, and over the last couple of years it has become its own game. There’s so much more to do here and RPG fans will love it. Not only does it have more to do and more items to craft, but it also has Dragons and other monsters to fight head on like an RPG game. There’s a massive community found at the Block Story website, there are texture packs, mods and more. This is again just scratching the surface, but I really enjoyed the concept at work here and I’m sure it’s something that I’ll keep on coming back to when I need some RPG with my mining.
- Speed (4/5) – Considering that there’s a lot of 3D elements onscreen, I was happy with the performance here and you can always change things in the settings if you have an older device.
- Features (5/5) – It’s got everything you could want from both a Minecraft title as well as an RPG game, there’s also a massive community behind the game helping to make things better for all players.
- Theme (4/5) – The 3D graphics are okay and while they don’t have a consistent style, animations of the other animals and characters are good and the texture work overall is pretty decent.
- Overall (4/5) – A solid game that will please both Minecraft fans looking for something more and RPG fans that love Minecraft but don’t find it fulfilling enough. In my eyes, it’s the best of both worlds and it’s got so much on offer that you’ll be finding new things to play with for months.
- Works well on smartphones and tablets with easy controls to get to grips with.
- Good-looking 3D graphics help bring the world alive and the maps seem really big, too.
- Lots of new items to craft and to find from dungeons just like loot
- This version allows you to ride creatures like massive Dragons and get across your world even quicker.
- Destroying blocks can take a long, long time.
- The tutorial is a little long-winded, but it does get you set up nicely.
Conclusion: Block Story has been around since 2012 now and this latest version adds in the ability to ride Dragons and 29 other different creatures and the game itself just keeps on getting better. If you’ve played Block Story on the PC, you’ll soon be able to port over your worlds and saves, making this a perfect mobile companion. Even still, the experience is incredibly similar, which is always nice to see. RPG fans that have yet to play Minecraft will really take to this and Minecraft fans looking for something more will enjoy the extra content. However, this is a game that’s very much its own title, and it’s got a big following of Block Story fans, so think of this as a game that merely offers something more and it does so with aplomb.