Description: Uplike is an Android app and online service that allows you and everyone else on the internet to share whatever it is you like with everyone else online. You can share music, YouTube videos, your own photos, funny meme posters and more with Uplike. It's sort of like Pinterest meets Instagram, but with you in the driving seat. You can share whatever you want from wherever you want on the Internet and you can do the opposite to share things you find on Uplike to Twitter or Facebook. To get a feel for Uplike, you can take a look at the video below as well as head on over to the Uplike website, too. It's an interesting concept and it can be a great way of finding inspiration too, so just how good is Uplike?Is it something for you? Let's take a look.
How it Works: Much like anything else on Android, you'll need to download Uplike from the Play Store and you'll also need to create an account, but you can do this with your Facebook account or creating a completely new one.
Once you've created an account and signed-in, you'll be given a little introduction on how to post your own Uplike posts.
After that, you can start browsing for Uplikes through the main feed and you can of course search for things as well.
When you find an Uplike you want to take a closer look at, all you need to do is touch the image to get a full look at the share and here you can leave a comment as well as a like, too.
Most of the fun however, is in creating and sharing your own Uplikes, which is really easy to do thanks to the easy to use interface. With Uplike, you have to share a piece of media, with it being more of a visual Twitter, with media coming first then text being optional.
One of my favorite features is the ability to create a meme poster using the built-in generator app. With that I can make cool Uplike shares like this of cat.
Sharing YouTube videos, GIFs and more is similarly simple, and you can always add in some hashtags to help your Uplike be found by search.
Opinion: Uplike does feel like a lot of other apps and services out there, but it's the blend of all these different features that makes the whole package so appealing. I'm a keen photographer myself, but it's more of a personal thing to me, which is why Flickr didn't work out for me. However, I am more than happy to share excellent shots from around the web, and Uplike lets me do that no matter where I found the photo. The same can be said for YouTube videos, I can share some of my CollegeHumor favorties and come across some new YouTube Channels thanks to Uplike. Being able to access such an eclectic mix of different material from people all over the web is really great and it's super easy to contribute whatever you want to it. Uplike's app itself works great and it looks pretty good, with it being easy to find new content on either your smartphone or tablet. Leaving a comment or a like is nice and easy too, allowing you to quickly connect with people who have similar or different tastes to you.
- Speed (4/5) - Uplike itself runs nice and quickly and images, videos and even GIFs are loaded nice and quickly.
- Features (5/5) - This sort of sharing isn't going to be for everyone, but the fact that Uplike allows you to share whatever you want from wherever you want, Uplike has a slightly larger appeal than Pinterest and there really aren't any rules here, which is even better.
- Theme (4/5) - The app itself is fairly clean and good-looking with a modern Android interface that works well on smartphones and tablets.
- Overall (4/5) - It might remind us a lot of Pinterest, but Uplike does whatever you want, allowing you to share from wherever you want. You can find people that like similar things to you or just browse through an eclectic mix of all sorts of music, images, GIFs and videos.
- Doesn't matter what you share; be it GIFs, videos, music, images or even Memes generated right from within the app, you can share it all on Uplike.
- Works well on tablets, making it nice and easy to browse for something new and exciting as recommend from others.
- Takes inspiration from Pinterest and Instagram to concoct a unique and fresh social network.
- Great for those that enjoy sharing photos, but don't want to be tied to just photos or videos, like Instagram.
- Only as good as the users you come across, and so far a lot of the shares feel more like Instagram than anything else.
- If you're already hooked on Pinterest, Uplike might be more of the same to you.
Conclusion: Uplike is an excellent concept, it might not be entirely original, but its blend of Pinterest and Instagram works well to create something fresh. It's nice to be able to share whatever we want, be it a GIF, a video, some new music or even generate a cool new meme from within the app itself. For those that just like browsing the web to come across new and different things, Uplike is a great way to get in touch with others and share the things that make you laugh, smile or just show off your taste in whatever it might be. It's a good app and it runs great, with the opportunity for it to become the next big thing in sharing all sorts of cool content.