Description: Pirate Legends TD is pretty much what it sounds like, it's a Tower Defense game that features Pirates and the legends associated with them. However, it's not just another game to cash in on the popularity of Tower Defense games and is instead a game with high-quality visuals, a fun and unique play style that makes the most of Tower Defense style of play as well as the elements associated with Pirates. It features cool mythical beasts from the seven seas and a whole host of enemies to ward off as you captain your ship to safety, and glory. There are 3 difficulty modes, 5 different heroes to play as, 20 different towers with 2 upgrade paths, 30+ enemies as well as some terrifying bosses and in-game achievements. Take a look at the trailer below.
How it Works: First off, you'll need to download Pirate Legends from the Play Store, once you've done that you can go ahead and create your profile.
Once you've got a save profile set up, you'll be able to get started. When you first start a new game, you'll be treated to some excellent artwork and a fun intro to boot.
The intro goes on for a little bit, but it's an excellent showcase of how good the artwork from Super Hippo looks here.
Jumping right in, you'll see a map that doesn't have much on it now, but you'll be jumping all over it as you sail from shore to shore.
What's nice about Pirate Legends, is that it manages to give players a nice introduction into how Tower Defense games work in general, without bogging them down with a long tutorial.
When you first get going with the game, things start off slowly, but you can always adjust the speed to make the levels run quicker.
It won't be long however, until you're using the legendary Pirate beasts like the Kraken to ward off even more enemies in completely different environments.
I don't want to ruin anything for you here, but Pirate Legends has a nice and varied story mode that will take to all sorts of different environments to keep things fresh.
Opinion: Pirate Legends is a nice way to experience a Tower Defense game if you haven't already played a number of the greats out there, but for those that have played Tower Defense games before and can't put them down, Pirate Legends will really work for you. It's got a whole lot on offer and it's not just the towers at work here, as there's also the need to come up with pretty powerful strategies in order to defeat all these nasty enemies that you'll keep on coming up against. There's a lot to do in Pirate Legends as there's so much on offer and there's never really a dull moment as the game can be satisfyingly difficult and a real genuine challenge, too.
- Speed (4/5) – The game runs great, and the pacing is nice, but if you're in the mood for a quicker game you'll need to use the accelerator.
- Features (5/5) – A tower defense game is pretty easy to make these days, but to make one like Pirate Legends that has a unique setting and some excellent tower defense gameplay is pretty difficult. It's easy to stand up as a "me too" with these games, but Pirate Legends stands out from the crowd.
- Theme (5/5) – The artwork here really is great, it's sharp and looks great on my tablet and everything is well animated and it's all nice and vibrant.
- Overall (5/5) – A great Tower Defense game that has great artwork and really looks the part. Tower defense fans will find a lot of strategy on offer here and those not familiar with the genre will find it a nice introduction with a lot to offer.
- Looks great on smartphones and tablets with sharp, clear images.
- The art style is of a high standard and it all comes together brilliantly to deliver a vibrant look and feel.
- Tower Defense gameplay is both a good introduction to tower defense, but also a great game for veterans.
- No need to spend ages with a boring tutorial, the game just lets you get on with it.
- Does take up a lot of storage on your device, over 300MB, but the artwork is perhaps worth it.
- Some levels do feel like they drag on a little, but you can always use the acceleration button to speed things up.
Conclusion: Pirate Legends is something that will appeal to all sorts of gamers, whether or not they've played Tower Defense games before. There's a whole host of different enemies and towers on offer with some really cool extra features you'll need to find out for yourself and the whole game shines with some excellent artwork, too.