Description: Day by Day Organizer is an Android app that brings both Google Calendar and Google Tasks under one roof, giving you the best of both worlds on your Android smartphone or tablet. It's not just another app that uses Google services instead of their solution, instead they've leveraged the best of Google's offerings and added in some of their own like subtasks, reminders and priorities. Day by Day is one of the few apps to take full advantage of the extra space afforded by Android tablets and there are even widgets available to put your agenda on your homescreen. Let's take a closer look and see how good Day by Day really is.
How it Works: There are two versions of Day by Day organizer, a free version and a paid version that offers a handful of extra features. Here, I'm using the paid version, but the free version will work well to try out Day by Day. As this is powered by Google services, you'll need to first give the app permission to access your account.
Once you've done that, you'll be given a view of your Google Calendar and Google Tasks info, but of course if this is your first time with such an app then things might be a little empty as it is for me.
Adding a task is nice and easy thanks to the interface and adding detailed info can all be done from one screen. Remember, anything you add here will be synced across your devices thanks to the use of Google services.
I really like the UI here and while it's not the flashiest it works well and even adding a time for events is super-easy.
For new users, Day by Day will give you a simple interactive guide on how to use the app.
Everything is where it should be, with standard UI practices like a slide-out drawer being used.
When sliding to the right, you can access the profile system that allows you to have a calendar and agenda for both work and play. This is nice as it helps you quickly and easily split your time between what you need to do at home as well as what you need to do back in the office.
Included are a variety of widgets as well, making it easy to get a quick look at what you've got to do and what's coming up. You can assign the same profiles you created to different widgets, so a widget for work and a widget for your personal life.
You can even theme the app with a darker theme if you like.
Opinion: Reviewing a calendar and agenda app like Day by Day can be fairly tricky, after all my agenda might not be as busy as yours. However, after spending some time with Day by Day I can say that I'm sure even the most busiest of folks out there will have no problem staying on top of their agendas here. It's nice that they've used Google's Calendar and Tasks to do this as well, not only does this mean a reliable sync service, but it also makes things a little familiar, which is good. Google's own calendar is pretty poor when compared to this and the team have even put together a free Google Chrome extension so you don't have to fiddle around with Google Calendar online from your computer. All-in-all, I have to admire the work done on Day by Day, it doesn't throw out Google's services just for the sake of it, and instead makes an easy to use app that has as few steps as possible for setting up an event or adding tasks and it works great on multiple devices and from your computer.
- Speed (4/5) - There were no issues with how Day by Day performed and there's no waiting for it to sync on other devices.
- Features (5/5) - By taking the best of Google and adding in extra features like subtasks and putting it together in a UI that's easy to use and detailed, Day by Day has everything you could want in such an app.
- Theme (4/5) - While it's not the flashiest app out there, it gets the job done and nothing is unexpected with Day by Day, the UI works just as you would expect it to; which is important for an app like this.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid calendar app that works great across multiple devices, doesn't require users to throw out Google and has lots of extra features on hand.
- Using Google Services means more people can just install this and have their agendas all there ready to go.
- Extra features like subtasks and more are nice additions and still sync using Google Calendar.
- Good user interface works just as you would expect it to, with no surprises.
- Widgets are a good touch and something we've come to expect from these types of apps.
- The interface works great, but a flashier theme would help compete with other calendar apps out there.
- Could be considered pricey to some users.
Conclusion: With everything you could ask from a calendar and tasks application, Day by Day is a nice mix of everything Google does best with some features that others will find useful. It's not the flashiest out there, but it works great and the team is clearly more about getting things done rather than them looking pretty. As such, if you're in need of a Calendar app that helps you get your busy life under control, then Day by Day can certainly help with that.