Description: Hill Climb – Steampunk Racing is an arcade style game for Android that puts you behind the handlebars of a motorbike and asks you to get over steep hills. You mustn’t crash and you’ll need to collect all the fuel you can in order to keep going. There are controls for acceleration and a brake, with tilt controls used to steady your rider in the air. With five types of tracks to play through, including deserts and the city, Hill Climb – Steampunk Racing has a lot to offer fans of motocross games and games controlled by motion.
How it Works: Hitting the dirt with Hill Climb – Steampunk Racing requires you to first download the game from the Play Store. Once done, you can then start playing.
There are five themes to choose from, and the more levels you complete, the more of these themes and different bikes you’ll be able to ride.
Getting over the hills is fairly simple, all you need to do is hit the gas and then move your device to make sure you land properly. You’ll need to be on the look out for fuel as well.
If you fail and crash, your score won’t be all that great.
One thing you can do to improve your score is to perform tricks.
Opinion: I’ve played many of these games before and while Hill Climb – Steampunk Racing doesn’t really bring anything new to the table, it’s nice to see another option available for players. I wish the graphics were better, as they do look quite low-res, but the gameplay is here and it might not be all that original, it’s still good fun. Simple mechanics like needing to collect gas all add to the game’s subtle difficulty that will give players a run for their money.
- Speed (4/5) – The game’s pacing here is nice and smooth and it runs just fine.
- Features (4/5) – Sure, it’s not all that original and it doesn’t break the mold too much, but it has a good variety of levels and plays well.
- Theme (3.5/5) – The varying types of terrain are nice to see, but it’d be even nicer if there were high-resolution assets at work.
- Overall (3.5/5) – Hill Climb – Steampunk Racing could do with some more original elements to it and some better graphics, but it’s still a lot of fun and has a nice arcade style of play to it.
- Arcade style gameplay will appeal to older audiences fairly well.
- Difficult tracks makes this a game with more than meets the eye.
- Fuel mechanic makes it more important than ever to get over those ridges and hills as quickly as possible.
- Easy to pickup and play wherever you are.
- Graphics could benefit from higher-resolution assets.
- Some added mechanics would help the game stand out from other similar titles.
Conclusion: Hill Climb – Steampunk Racing is a game that’s fun, if not in need of some added gameplay elements. Regardless though, the game is free to play, and it’s a good challenge for those players that like this sort of thing but want more out of their games. The hills are steep and you burn fuel trying to get over them if you don’t get it right the first time around. All of these subtleties add up to make this a solid challenge for players old and young.