Description: Speedometer is, as you might've already figured out, an app that tells you how fast you're going. However, as this is an app from Sygic, the same people behind one of the best GPS navigation apps on Android, it does far more than that. Speedometer not only accurately tells you how fast you're going, but with just a single tap – great for when driving – you can find out information on the nearest speed cameras as well as traffic incidents in the region. A good app for those that are driving in areas they're familiar with but don't want to get caught out by speed cameras or held up by accidents. It's a GPS-based speedometer and can anaylyze your driving and give you useful statistics.
How it Works: All you need to do is download Speedometer from the Play Store and once the app has a GPS lock it'll start to display your current speed as you're going along.
If you want to change the unit measurement, from km/h to mph for instance, you can simply flip the switch in the settings menu.
I tested this out myself, and the speedometer appears to be accurate within 1 or 2 mph, which is itself admirable.
You can see that the nearest speed camera is displayed onscreen, but you can easily take a look at the surrounding area's cameras.
Opinion: Let's face it, sometimes we drive too fast, sometimes we're in a hurry, sometimes we need to be somewhere at a certain time. Whatever the case may be, we're not perfect and sometimes we drive too fast. Knowing where the nearby speed cameras therefore, is a good idea and helps us avoid a traffic violation and thanks to the fact that there are over 50,000 of them cataloged in Sygic's Speedometer, you'll find most of the ones near you are recognized by the app. It's accurate as well, I tested this a couple of times – responsibly, of course – and found that it was only a couple of mph out at any given time. Being able to easily report things with a single tap is a nice feature, too.
- Speed (4/5) – The app itself runs fine and there were no issues on getting it to launch quickly and work efficiently.
- Features (4/5) – Speedometer works well and is well suited for use in the car, with a simple UI and accurate speed measurement through GPS.
- Theme (5/5) – The UI is perhaps the best thing about the app, as it works great in the car, there are no distractions and you can get info at a quick moment's notice.
- Overall (4/5) – Sygic's Speedometer is a great app and a good companion to their excellent navigation offering and won't distract you at the wheel.
- Easy to use, with simple, distraction-free interface.
- Very accurate using just GPS.
- Great for drivers who know the roads around their area.
- Shows nearby speed cameras and incidents without being distracting.
- Won't be much good for those in need of guidance around the area.
- Does seem to be a little basic but does what it says on the tin.
Conclusion: If you know the area you're driving, then Speedometer can be a real big help as it tells you how fast you're driving and can warn you of speed cameras. Traffic incidents also appear, but these are only in areas where other users are reporting issues, so be sure you report things for other users. It's a simple app, but one that's also accurate and that will give drivers peace of mind behind the wheel.