Description: Mezzmo is an Android app that allows you to get to your music, movies, pictures and more on all the devices in your house. You can stream movies over DLNA servers and UPnP devices, you can send content from your Android tablet to any compatible device in your home, including that Chromecast of yours. Popular media servers such as Plex, Serviio and JRiver are all supported with the Mezzmo server on offer to make it super-easy to access your PC's content on your Android device. A near-complete solution for getting media from one place and playing it on another with little to no hassle, let's take a closer look at what Mezzmo has to offer.
How it Works: First of all, you'll need to download Mezzmo from the Play Store. There is a 15-day free trial available as well as the full paid version. Once you have the app installed on your device, you'll be able to take a look at devices available on your network.
Some of your Windows machines might stream content straight to your device, but they need to be setup first. The easiest way to get your content from Windows - I found - was to just install the Mezzmo server, which is free for 15-days. It finds all your media files on your Windows PC and your NAS drives. After that, you'll be able to look at media from your PC and NAS nice and easily by selecting the corresponding Mezzmo server in the list. Mezzmo server also transcodes your files to a format compatible with your TVs or other devices, ensuring that every file you have plays nicely.
Thanks to Mezzmo, I can now see our beloved late King Joffrey on my tablet!
Of course, there's more to Mezzmo, like the ability to look up information for your titles and cast (content mirror) them to your TV. Another great feature if you use the Mezzmo server on your PC is seeing all the extra information about your movies, TV shows, music and pictures which is often preferable to sifting through IMDB pages.
Don't forget though, it's also good for music as well, allowing you to get the most from your PC's collection. As well as send some tunes to the TV or home theater during a shindig or something.
Opinion: With more features than you could shake a Chromecast or Roku box at, Mezzmo pretty much does everything. It talks to DLNA-enabled devices in your home, lets you send content from your phone or tablet to your Smart TV and best of all, it supports the Chromecast. Aside from all of the usual playlist features and such, Mezzmo just works. Chromecast support is a real boon here as Google's little stick has made it easier than ever before to get content on to the best display in the house. The Mezzmo server is perhaps the easiest way to go if you have lots of media on your PC, laptop or even a NAS box if you have one and while the Windows app felt a little dated, it was easier to use and more transparent than I have found Plex to be in the past.
- Speed (4/5) - Mezzmo is easy to setup and easy to use, with music and movies streaming smoothly over my wireless home network. How quickly things load will of course depend on your own network, but I had no issues.
- Features (5/5) - Without a doubt, Mezzmo does pretty much anything you can think of when it comes to home streaming. It works with DLNA, UPnP, the Chromecast, popular servers like Plex and more.
- Theme (4/5) - The Android app is good-looking and the interface is easy to use and easy to get to grips with.
- Overall (5/5) - With so many features it's difficult to list, Mezzmo not only promises a lot, but delivers a lot. If you have lots of devices throughout your home and you want to easily sort through them and get the movie going, Mezzmo is the app you want.
- Works with Plex, the Mezzmo server, DLNA devices and more - it works with almost everything.
- No complicated setup to go through, even the server is easy to set up.
- Chromecast support makes the whole thing that much sweeter.
- App is good-looking and easy to use, making it nice and easy to get to your content.
- After 15 days are up you need to pay for the app and the server.
- If you already have Plex, then you may not need the Mezzmo server (but Mezzmo server is an excellent media server).
Conclusion: While not perfect, Mezzmo is easily one of the more complete streaming solutions on Android. It's geared towards real media lovers and it works brilliantly across multiple devices with little to no hassle. It supports DLNA, UPnP, the Chromecast and more. It's a great app to have installed on all of your devices. It gets even better when you team it up with the Mezzmo server on your PC so you get all your movies, TV shows, music and pictures streaming perfectly to your devices quickly and easily.