Description: Go Launcher is the most popular launcher from the Go Launcher team that has been developing quality alternatives to staple Android apps and it's in use by over 200,000,000 people worldwide. With those sort of numbers, it's hard to ignore Go Launcher. This latest version of Go Launcher, version 5.0, is designed to be simple and smart. A comprehensive overlay for Android that focuses around delivering the best homescreen experience possible, Go Launcher EX has a long feature list. There are 10,000 themes to choose from and this latest version of Go Launcher has some smart widgets to help you better use your device and gain faster access to your favorite apps. With a fresh new look, does Go Launch EX 5.0 have what it takes to become your latest launcher?
How it Works: To get your new homescreen setup with Go Launcher 5, you'll need to first download the app from the Play Store. When you first launch it, you'll be able to get a glimpse of the overall look and feel, with some example icons to show you what things might look like.
When you first launch the app drawer to take a look at your apps, you will notice certain folders of apps that that have already been created.
This is a really convenient feature as it makes sorting out a lot of apps really easy. It's not perfect of course, but it's much better than having to move all of these apps at once. Not only that, but there's a new feature called Smart Card, which will suggest an app that you might find useful.
If you want to move icons or uninstall the apps, you can just hold on one of them and the icons will change in appearance to a jiggly bunch, much like iOS icons. From here, you can drag the app or folder to a homescreen at the bottom.
Positioning apps and such on homescreens is pretty straightforward. Here we're going to put this folder alongside a pre-installed widget that's a lot of use, too.
When you long press on the homescreen, even more of that fresh new UI is shown with quick options to change the effects and wallpaper.
Another great feature of Go Launcher 5 is GO Panel. Simply pinch anywhere on your homescreen and you can add features like your favorite contacts to any free screen on your launcher.
When you add one of these features, you'll see a large type of widget on your homescreen, making it much easier to place a phone call to a favorite contact for instance.
Opinion: I've been using Android for years now, and this is not the first time that I've used a Go Launcher product, however it has been one of the better times. It's clear that Go Launcher EX 5.0 has come on a long way from the earlier versions of the launcher and it's a nice breath of fresh air. There are UI elements from Samsung, MIUI and more all rolled into one launcher, which isn't a bad thing - it's a skill in itself to find the best of what's out there, and Go Launcher EX V5.0 still has its own identity, that's for sure. Grouping apps into folders automatically, like Games and Reading is a real nice touch for me, as making sure all of my apps are well organized is important for me and not having to go through all my apps was a nice touch. So too, are smart cards which can suggest new apps you might find useful. All of these features make the best use of our large displays these days and nothing really gets in your way too much.
- Speed (4/5) - With no waiting between screen transitions or app launches, Go Launcher EX is a speedy launcher for sure.
- Features (5/5) - A list longer than both my arms, there's no shortage of effects, available themes and add-ons for Go Launcher EX. The smart card feature and automatic folder creation are two of the best features.
- Theme (5/5) - With over 10,000 themes available on the Play Store, and a unique look out-of-the-box, Go Launcher EX is the perfect way to make an old Android phone feel new again. This fifth version of the launcher has a new look and feel to it
- Overall (5/5) - An excellent launcher that has gone through a number of evolutions to become a well-polished high-grade Android app, Go Launcher EX is an easy recommendation.
- Lots of features available, from transitions to the way your homescreen works.
- Great for customizing the look of your Android device - be it tablet or smartphone - with thousands of themes available, and compatible with pretty much every icon pack out there.
- Easy enough to set up and get to grips with, without having to go through a tutorial or anything like that.
- Go Launcher EX is a speedy app with features that change how your phone or tablet works to make things even faster.
- Suggested apps and widgets on first launch can feel a little pushy.
- Locksreen replacement could be better explained for those new to Android or not too tech-savvy.
Conclusion: Go Launcher EX 5.0 is frankly, an easy recommendation for those looking for something new. Whether or not you're fed up with the way your device looks, or how it runs, Go Launcher EX can provide you with a fresh look and feel, while also offering you an incredible amount of customization. Compatible with all the best icon packs out there, as well as over 10,000 themes on Google Play, Go Launcher EX is a great choice for those looking to customize their device, and this latest version of the launcher has a whole lot more on offer.