Description: For a long time now, we've been able to share our Android phone's cellular data connection with other devices using WiFI. For some reason though, Google has all but buried these options in the settings menu and they've steadily become harder and harder to find as time goes on. That's where apps like Android Hotspot come in, as they make sharing your device's data with others really nice and simple. With so many apps out there offering the same sort of functionality however, is Android Hotspot an app worth your time? Read on to see.
How it Works: Android Hotspot is really quite simple to set up, all you need to do is download the app from the Play Store and then configure your hotspot settings.
Just hit config and you'll be able to start changing settings like the name of your WiFi network as well as the password.
From there, all you need to do is hit OK and you're hotspot feature will start working, allowing you to connect other device's to your phone and share internet connection.
It's as simple as that to use Android Hotspot, and that's what it's designed to be – simple.
Opinion: Often, I don't understand why people duplicate functions from the Android app like this, but I can see why some users will find this quite handy. After all, these settings can be difficult to find on a lot of devices and this is a much quicker root to them if you have the app on your homescreen or something like that. Unlike other apps however, it doesn't display how much data you're using, or how many devices and users are connected to your device. Still, for those looking for a quick icon to hit on their device, this is a good option.
- Speed (4/5) – There's nothing to complain about when it comes to performance as this is a pretty quick app.
- Features (3/5) – A pretty basic app, this does work but it doesn't offer the advanced features of other similar apps.
- Theme (4/5) – The cute background is a nice touch for those non tech-savvy users and makes the app approachable to all.
- Overall (3.5/5) – It's a shame that there isn't anything else besides the basic functionality offered, but it does indeed work.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Works well on any Android device.
- Great for those that simply want to share their internet connection with other devices.
- Good way of giving non tech-savvy users a way to use the great hotspot feature of Android.
- Doesn't show devices connected to your phone or how much data you're using.
- Seems more like a duplicated feature than anything else.
Conclusion: For those not wanting to fish through all of their settings just to activate mobile hotspot and it's a fun-looking app that will appeal to the vast majority of users. It is a shame that there aren't any more advanced features included, but the app works well without any issue and it's a simple app that's completely free.