The HTC One (M8) it an amazing device, and I can’t think of a reason to unlock the bootloader and root the thing, but there are some that are going to want to. And it’s our job to tell you how. So that’s exactly what we are doing today. It’s actually pretty easy using HTCDEV, but as always be sure to read this entire guide before attempting to unlock your bootloader, since we are not responsible for any damage caused to your device. And remember that this does void your warranty. Finally this does work with all the variants of the HTC One (M8).
If you’re looking to root your HTC One (M8), after you unlock your bootloader, you can check out our guides for the Verizon and AT&T HTC One (M8)’s. At the time of writing this, the other variants do not have root yet.
Before Getting Started:
- Make sure your battery is at, at least 60%, and you have the following:
- Install HTC Drivers
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging)
- Backup your apps, contacts, etc
- Download Fastboot, Fastboot.exe
- Remove your microSD card
How to Unlock HTC One M8 Bootloader
- Visit the HTCDev website and login to your account or create an account if you haven’t already.
- Open the bootloader unlock page.
- Select HTC One (M8) in the Supported Devices drop-down menu and click on Begin Unlock Bootloader. Agree to all the terms and conditions, and proceed further.
- On the first page of unlocking, scroll down to the very bottom and click on Proceed to Step 5
- Switch off your HTC One (M8).
- Boot into HBOOT/Bootloader mode by pressing Volume Down and Power keys
- Use the volume keys to highlight fastboot and select it using the power button.
- Your device will boot into fastboot mode.
- Connect your HTC One (M8) to the PC while it is fastboot mode.
- Open a CMD window and type in the following command to confirm that the device is connected properly
- A serial shall be displayed once the device is detected.
- Enter the following command in the CMD window to acquire your device token.
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- You will see an output token. Right click inside the CMD window and click on Mark. Select everything from <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> to <<<< Identifier Token End >>>>. Right click again to copy the text.
- Open the HTCDev website page, where we left on step #4. Scroll down to the very end and you will see a My device Identifier token box.
- Paste the copied token text and click on Submit.
- HTC will send your unlock code to your registered E-mail address. Open your email and download the attached Unlock_code.bin (This is your device’s unlock code)
- Open the folder where the Unlock_code.bin has been downloaded. Now, inside the folder press SHIFT key and right click on empty space.
- A menu will popup, select Open Command Prompt Here.
- Type the following command to start the unlocking process of your HTC One (M8):
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unclock_code.bin
- Your phone will ask you to confirm that you want to unlock the bootloader, tap on agree.
That’s just how easy it is to unlock the bootloader on the HTC One (M8). If you have any issues or questions, be sure to leave a comment below and we’ll do our best to assist you.