The HTC One (M8) is probably one of our favorite devices of the year so far. But then again we've only seen a few devices get announced this year that has made it to the US. Now that the HTC One (M8) is out and available on all four carriers, that's Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile, it's time to learn how to root it. The Verizon HTC One (M8) was the first to get the root treatment a few weeks ago, and now we're looking at rooting the AT&T variant. Make sure your bootloader is unlocked, then we're going to instruct you on how to flash TWRP recovery on your HTC One, then how to flash SuperSU onto your HTC One.
Before we get started, it's important to note that Android Headlines is not responsible for any damage caused to your device. Also be sure to read this entire guide before attempting to root your HTC One.
- Unlock the bootloader on your HTC One (M8)
- Install HTC USB Drivers
- Enable USB Debugging (Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging)
- Install the Android SDK
- Download these files: Fastboot_files.Zip, openrecovery-twrp-220.127.116.11-m8_ul_ca.img, and UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.xx.zip
How to install TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) Recovery on the HTC One (M8):
- Power off your HTC One M8.
- Press Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously to enter into HBOOT/Bootloader mode.
- Use the physical volume keys to highlight Fastboot and select it by pressing the Power button.
- Connect your M8 to the PC via USB cable when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Open the Fastboot_files folder, press SHIFT key and Right click on an empty space inside the folder.
- A menu will popup. Select Open Command Prompt Here.
- Enter the following command one after the other to flash the recovery image file:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-18.104.22.168-m8_ul_ca.img
- Your device will reboot having installed TWRP already.
How to Root the AT&T HTC One (M8)
- Connect your device to your PC via USB
- Transfer the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.xx.zip to your device (make sure you remember where you place it)
- Turn off your device
- Press Volume Down and Power buttons together to inter HBOOT/Bootloader Mode
- Use the volume buttons to highlight Recovery and select it using the power button
- Now you will be entering into TWRP Recovery
- Tap on Install
- Next tap on the UPDATE-SuperSU-V1.xx.zip
- Slide the button at the bottom to start the flashing process
- In a few moments you'll be done, and rebooting your device.
Congratulations, your HTC One (M8) is now rooted. As you can see it's plain and simple to root your HTC One (M8), well at least compared to a few other devices.