Description: With the whole Flappy Bird thing behind us now, you would think that'd be the end of seemingly effortless clones, but there's another game in town that's remarkably familiar; Flap Flap Birdy. As you might have guessed, this borrows the same simply mechanic that took off earlier this year and blends with some other neat little features in order to come up with something a little different. No matter what the decision was behind Flap Flap Birdy, it's a real game available in the Play Store and while it's pretty much the same game we've been playing for a long time now, it doesn't mean that it can't be fun now does it?
How it Works: As with all games, if you like the look of this one, then you'll need to download it from the Play Store. Once you've done that, you're ready to give the game a play.
Playing Flap Flap Birdy is as simple as tapping the screen to keep the bird flapping, and thus flying through the pipes.
The same mechanic as Flappy Bird is used here, as you need to fly through the pipes to earn points that make up your score.
At the end of each level you're given your score as well as the opportunity to be saved, which is present in other games and basically gives you another life.
Each time you start a level, you're given three lives, which means you can achieve much higher scores than you could with Flappy Bird.
Opinion: It's a shame that developers keep on going back to mechanics such as these in order to make a game, after all we know they can come up with something better. However, we will say that Flap Flap Birdy is a fun game, and the save feature is a nice touch, which allows for much higher scores than other similar games. Needless to say, there aren't too many surprises when playing this, but that's not altogether a bad thing, we just wish there was something a little different with the overall formula.
- Speed (4/5) - There's no waiting around or anything here, everything is immediate and the overall speed is good here.
- Features (3/5) - No matter how you cut it, this is Flappy Bird with an extra feature or two and some more colorful graphics.
- Theme (4/5) - The retro charm is a nice touch and all, but the bird could have more realistic flight to it.
- Overall (3.5/5) - Flap Flap Birdy is a decent game, we just wish that there was a little more to it, aside from the basic Flappy Bird principles.
- The extra life system does throw a little bit of difference onto things, and helps those that find the game difficult.
- Retro charming graphics do look fun.
- The simple addictive method is still fun here, even if it feels a little tired.
- Easy to pickup and play no matter where you are.
- Distancing itself from the familiar theme of other games would work well here.
- Does feel a little too familiar to Flappy Bird, it's basically the same game in a different skin.
Conclusion: It's a real shame that there isn't much more to Flap Flap Birdy, as there's some charming graphics and the same simplicity that was a lot of fun in the original Flappy Bird. No matter though, it's easy to pickup and those that found the original too difficult should appreciate the saving feature on offer here. At the end of the day however, this is simply the same game we've already played a number of times before, which might not be a bad thing if you just wanted some extra features, as Flap Flap Birdy has these extra features.