Description: Type Your Ringtone is an Android app that allows you to create a ringtone from your own words using whichever text-to-speech engine you have installed. It's a nifty idea, and one that can be a whole lot of fun when assigning on a per-contact basis. You can control the pitch and speed of the voice as it reads out what you've written and thanks to the new high-quality voices offered by Google you can achieve some very interesting results. Built using the Android UI guidelines, this is a simple, yet good-looking app that does exactly what it says it does without any hassle. Take a look at the trailer below for a quick look.
How it Works: As with any app or game, a quick install from the Play Store is needed. After that you're left with an empty list of ringtones, which you can populate by creating your own.
Creating your own ringtone is as simple as hitting the plus button, then typing in what you want to be spoken aloud. You can adjust the pitch and speed as well, which can create something a little more hurried if you adjust things, making a call from your wife even more hilarious.
When you select a ringtone from the main menu, you can set it as a ringtone (or notification sound), or preview it.
Opinion: Type Your Ringtone is a cool app, it might not be for everyone, after all listening to music or an actual phone ring is more appealing that hearing your phone speak aloud. However, you can have as much fun as you like with this little app. The Pro version allows you to set a ringtone to a specific ringtone such as "This is your wife calling!" or "Yo, it's your boy!" for your friends. One of the more appealing things about Type Your Ringtone is that there's so little to the app, it's a simple - yet useful and fun idea - wrapped up a simple and easy to use app that lets you do as you like. Basically, this gives you the tools to use them however you like, something I wish a lot more apps would allow users to do.
- Speed (4/5) - Type Your Ringtone is a speedy app, and nothing takes too long at all here.
- Theme (4/5) - While there's little in the way of flare here, the stock Android look and feel is nice to see and there's nothing to complain about.
- Features (4/5) - Sure, the feature list here might be short, but the execution is hassle-free and you have the tools to do whatever you want with.
- Overall (4/5) - Type Your Ringtone is a fun app that does exactly what it sets out to do without any hassle or issues and runs well.
- Simple and easy to use with very little hassle.
- Essentially gives you the tools to do what you want with.
- Makes use of whichever TTS engine you have installed, so you can play around with different voices.
- Low-key UI matches Android well and is a breeze to use.
- Example ringtones would be a nice touch.
- Can feel a little bare, but this reduces clutter.
Conclusion: A cool app to play around with, Type Your Ringtone can be a lot of fun, and for those that simply want to know who's calling and when, it makes a lot of sense. It's a shame that there isn't a way to set tones for email, Twitter, Snapchat, WhatsApp et al but, the general idea is ringtones and not notification sounds we suppose. The low-key design and easy to use UI offers users hassle-free control to create their own speech-based ringtone in a matter of seconds. An altogether good app that's incredibly simple and hassle free for users.