Description: Sequel to the immensely popular Loops game, Loops Legends - which sits in the top five of the Brain and Puzzle category in the Play Store - is a puzzle game that isn't quite what you expect. For one thing, the game revolves around forming lines of dots of the same color, and for another the Loops you form are really squares or rectangles. The game itself is fast-paced and full of challenges, with each level giving you a sort of mission to complete, rather than simply getting more difficult or something like that. It's a refreshing approach to game design and while it's not entirely new, it works nicely here in Loops Legends. A free game that's ad-supported, it's easy to pickup and play, and even easier to get started with. However, those looking for a challenge should dismiss the game as something that's too easy for puzzle brains to try. Read on to find out more.
When you first start playing, the game eases you into the process of matching dots in a line.
Each level presents you with a sort of mission, or goal you have to meet in order to get to the next one.
As you progress through the levels, the missions you're given will get harder and harder to beat.
The levels start off fairly easy, but they quite difficult when you've cut down a number of them in your path.
Opinion: My biggest takeway from playing Loops Legends is that I found it heavily addictive. I found myself getting to grips with the game and then by the time I checked I had lost almost an hour playing. That doesn't happen all that often for me and mobile games. However, with Loops Legends I could quite happily play for hours on end. I will say that the challenges seem to spike in difficulty once you get into the higher levels, and that it could do with some tuning. Other than that though, Loops Legends is another solid puzzle game, and one I will keep installed for those times when I want some low-key, challenging puzzle action.
- Speed (4/5) - Loops Legends is an accessible game that's fast-paced and runs great.
- Features (4/5) - While not offering anything revolutionary, there's a lot of decent features on offer and the mission-like goals are a nice touch.
- Theme (4/5) - With color all over the place, Loops Legends looks good on smartphones and tablets alike.
- Overall (4/5) - A solid puzzle game that breaks the mold, if only a little bit, in order to deliver a fresher experience on Android.
- Enough of a change for puzzle fans to see a fresher game.
- Missions for each level help give the game a sense of purpose.
- Progressing from level-to-level again injects some purpose into the game and makes it easy to pickup after long periods away from the game.
- Interesting powerups interact with how you play the game and how easily you can meet your goals.
- Difficulty seems to spike in large jumps at times, rather than gradual increments.
- Not enough powerups on tap for those playing the game day in, day out.
Conclusion: Loops Legends just goes to show that you don't need to change the wheel when it comes to puzzle games to offer something addictive and fun. On the surface it might seem different, but Loops Legends is just wrapped up in a different package, that's not to say it isn't original, but rather to say that it doesn't mess with parts of the puzzle formula that aren't broken. By mixing together some original elements with some well-trodden puzzle tropes Loops Legends is a great game that's good fun and not to mention addictive. It's not perfect, and the difficulty spike can be a road block, but we're thankful the game isn't too easy. This is definitely a game for new puzzle players and veterans alike.